Another Raised Bed Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ozarkyehti, May 24, 2006.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

I am wanting to build raised beds out of cinder blocks.

Only about 2 blocks high.

A friends says that I must pour footers, insert rebar and cement to make it stable.

He says that because of the weather changes from spring to summer to autumn and especially winter, the temp changes will cause bulging caused by the soil expanding and shrinking inside my small cinder block wall.

Has anybody ever had this problem?

I live in Missouri an hour outside St. Louis

2. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

If they are only two high, I don't see it being a problem. Even if you have a large garden. I've never worked with cinder blocks before, but I have my raised beds made out of rock from around our land. I haven't had a problem with them.

3. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

I build lotsa' retaining walls out of retaining wall blocks,and various other materials.Usually,I just square out a trench a few inches deep,and backfill it with pea gravel,and a little sand.The sand and gravel also act as a leveling agent that is very easy to work with.The walls I have built have held up real well,but I do live in a very mild climate,so the heaving effect may not be as severe here.
    Hope this helps-Nick