Another question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ajharris, Sep 27, 2006.

1. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

From everything I have read my saanen has not been in heat. I have heard of other animals slowing down their preg. due to heat and stress. Can a goat do the same? Please Say Yes :rolleyes:

Amanda

2. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

The goat ajharris is talking about has a much bigger belly than she did a couple of months ago. She does not look or feel truely fat. Her belly is tight. She has not shown any sign of coming into heat. We had close to two months of over 115* weather July and Aug. A rabbit waited three extra weeks to have her litter. Would a picture help any goat breeders here to tell us if she is expecting?

3. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

4. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

I have never heard of that-but who really knows-i know last spring there were reports of does carrying 160 + days, which none of mine ever did either-So :shrug: If she had NO udder-now IS making an udder-belly growing and tight-does sound like pregnancy. On the other hand, the 150 days are here, so, it would have to be fairly soon. Maybe she will just "bag up over night"-they do that sometimes! This time of year, i would not really rely on "lack of heat signs", especially due to your HOT summer..this cool fall weather is what helps to "start" this years breeding season! (especially w/swiss breeds) I would really look for kid movement-put yor hand in front of her udder and up to the side just a little-give a few little pats, then hold a flat palm there, you should feel kids (easiest if doe is laying down relaxed) Keep an eye on udder growth-look for discharge-sunkin tail head--do you know how to check tendons? Those are a pretty good give away as too "readiness" too deliver. Feel welcome to post pictures, that would help-but watching the above signs will better answer for day to day progress. Best of luck for pure Saanen babies--we are rooting for you! :)

5. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

If she were a boer, I'd say not preggers...when would she be due? My two doe kids that spent the summer with my new buck WERE pregnant, until they came into heat yesterday and the day before...shows what I know :nerd: Now as far as heat goes, 70 degrees is a heat wave around here so the only thing that I think throws us into heats (besides perimenopause-but thats a whole 'nother thread) is the shortening days.

7. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, she doesn't look pregnant, but of course, that doesn't mean anything. Has she kidded before? The teats would be awfully big not to have, plus, if she is dry, they should be more limp. So, if she hasn't kidded before, I'd say maybe. :rolleyes: I haven't heard of a goat going more than a week long. Course, I'm no expert.
    mary

9. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

I don't think she has kidded before. The lady I got her from said no but she really didnt pay that much attention to them. Maybe she is. This evenin when I checked her she had some white gooey stuff drippin so maybe.

10. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

That's a good sign. Actually, a spot of white can just mean heat. But you will sometimes see some gooey white discharge for as much as two weeks before delivery. At least that has been my experience. I'd be watching for signs of heat and signs of pregnancy.
    mary

11. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Thanks Mary for all your advice.

12. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Nope, I don't think she is pregnant, or if she is, she's only just recently preggers. Besides, the doe is a Saanen, what are the odds of a Saanen kidding right now, in the fall? Possible, but extremely unlikely.

Do you have a buck there? Some does really need colder weather, shorter days, and a buck present to come into a strong detectable heat.

13. Madge

Madge Member

She looks a nice healthy non-pregnant little Saanen to me. None of our Saanens have started coming into season yet and it's not been anywhere near those temperatures over here. I would give her at least another month before I even began to be concerned.

If she has "white gooey stuff" coming out of her teats and you are sure she hasn't kidded before she may well be a maiden milker. Some goats from good dairy lines will produce a decent quantity of milk without ever kidded. A friend of ours had a Saanen that she milked for 14 years and it never kidded in all it's life!

14. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

IMO by body,she is not showing pregnancy-just healthy shape. That does not look like a "never freshened-OR-non pregnant" udder however. It looks more like a "starting to fill-or drying off udder". If you look at the top of the rear estuchen (sp?)-by the pic.-it appears to be filling,up high-which is what you look for in a "first filling udder". How has the udder changed since you got her? Is the "full looking" teats fairly recent? There should be fairly rapid udder growth going on now-if she is indead "due"-i don't see hollowing in the tail head either. I would still watch for same things-sudden udder growth-discharge-hollowing-kid movement. I personally would expect alot more udder there-too be due-any chance at all that she got bred alot later than you thought? Although Saanens should just now be coming into heat-i did have one kid in October-and one in Nov. last year-so "seasonal" is not a sted fast rule, just how it usually works! :)

15. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

She does not look pregnant to me either.

As far as a rabbit waiting 3 extra weeks to have it's litter,well, I would think that there was some rabbit hanky-panky going on unnoticed at a date not written down on the calendar :)