Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am learning to knit, and have actually made a block or childlike knit stitches, my mother gave me some of my grandmothers yarn. Now my grandmother is 97 years young and has been knitting since she was a small child. She knits with crochet thread and used to make knitted collars ( her eyes are bad now so she doesn't knit anymore ). The yarn I received is 2 ply. I have never seen 2 ply yarn. How does one work it and what could you use it for. I think the yarn I received is for a single project as there are 6 skeins of a beautiful variegated type, not like today's variegated yarns( pink, blue, blue-green, and green. The colors are each about 4 inches long and the skein is in a distinct pattern in the colors. I have a picture of it but photobucket is not cooperating. There are 2 skeins each of a contrasting color (pink and blue) and then 6 skeins of white. What should I think about making with this
DC

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Working with a 2-ply yarn is not different than working with any other yarn. You just knit with it.

Do you know what they yarn is made of, what fiber? Wool, cotton, a mixture, synthetic? How much yarn do you have? 6 skeins doesn't mean much if we don't know how much yardage is in each skein or total yardage. If there is a label on the skeins/balls read on there to find all the answers, including maybe a name of the yarn. If there is no info about the yarn maybe knit a swatch, a square that is about 4"x4" and see how you like the look and feel of that fabric. If it feels too harsh or tight use a larger needle until you find a fabric feel and look you like. Depending on how much yarn you have maybe you can make a sweater or a vest or a scarf or a bunch of mittens or socks.

Have fun with it. I bet your Grandma could help you out a lot even if she can't see to knit with the tiny yarn/thread. She may be able to teach you things. I'd be at her knee if I was you collecting all the knitting wisdom she can impart in you.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 16 skeins in all and they weigh approximately 6oz each. The yarn does not feel like acrylic but it may be. Its very soft but not at all like baby yarn. I am still trying to get photobucket to cooperate for a picture. There is no label at all on any of the skeins so I am not sure what it is. Is there a way to find out? ETA: I got photobucket to work so here a picture of the variegated yarn. The skeins are 13" around and 7.5" long.

I would love to talk to grandma but shes in Reno, with my aunt and uncle, and I am in North East Arkansas. She learned to knit from her mother after they moved to the US from Austria. My great grandmas knitting was so fine. We have a couple shawls that she made from some sort of very fine wool. These are being passed down in the family since they are heirlooms and worth quite a bit.
DC

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I'll bet its acrylic, but it may be a high end acrylic. Grab a piece of it and break it with your fingers. If it breaks, it's wool. If it doesn't break, it may still be wool or a wool blend.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Looks like some of the stuff I got from my MIL stash (died before hubby and I were married).
I use it to make baby things, well.. now kid things... I'm going to make some gloves for my daughter out of it.
I've crochet'd with it, but I would think knitting would be better. I'm new to knitting as well!

Cricket

1 - 5 of 5 Posts