Another Pygmy question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JayinCT, Aug 16, 2005.

1. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

Hi there folks, thank you for all your help in the past. Now I have a question in follow up from the first. Being that I'm told pygmy's can be bred any time of the year, did I make a mistake? When my two does kidded, I gave them a week or two to let the kids get sure on their feet, then let them out in the pasture with everyone else, buck included.

Well, they were out there for two and 1/2 months with the kids nursing. I noticed the buck sniffing and following one of the does (Around the first week of June), and moved him to another pasture. I really wanted to wait until November to let them get pregnant again, so it's well into the spring warm season before they kid.

I figured because the kids were nursing that the does wouldn't let the buck breed them until they were close to weaning. I planned on moving the buck July 1st anyway, but could I have made a mistake? Could he have already bred them? I have changed everything around some now too. The bucklings were getting old enough to start getting frisky, so the bucklings are out in the large pasture with two wethers and the buck. The does are now in the smaller pen. Two full grown and one doeling.

The does each get free choice hay and 1 1/2 lbs of grain every day in hopes of getting some weight back on them. They are so skinny from nursing. Well, their bellies seem to be getting larger, but their hips and back end is still all skin and bones. Could they already be pregnant? I would think that they shouldn't be, but thought I would ask anyway.

Jay

2. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Jay,

I have a pygmy doe that kidded at the end of March. She still nurses her kids off & on. I did have the buck castrated at 8 wks.

I suppose it's possible that your buck could've bred them. It's not full proof even if they are nursing. Bucks (at least mine) won't take no for an answer. He pretty much tries (& usually does) to breed 7 days a week, all year long!! :eek:

I keep my buck tethered away from my doe. He's not a pygmy, but he's more than happy to service mine! They all broke out of the barn (they are in seperate, but attached barns) one day last month. Came home to all of them meeting me in the driveway. My doe seems to be built like a dairy cow. She's fleshed out enough, but you can still see her hips. Sounds like that's the way your does are.

This is an article from amber waves pygmy goats:
    The condition of the doe at breeding time has a huge impact on the resulting offspring. That said, do not get them fat; fat does may not breed at all. Remember that a doe can short-cycle or have false heats, particularly if breeding is attempted while she is still nursing kids. The doe's age and general health can also affect her breeding ability.

Hope this helps, I tend to ramble on :sing: :sleep:

Tricia

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

my buck is never be allowed to range with does. if they are pregnant and get butted in thier side, it can ruin everything. the buck will also sometimes hurt kids, especially young bucklings. also he could breed on his daughters when it seems there was no way he could have done it. also, breeding your does 2 times per year will shorten thier lifespan and cause them to have fewer babies over thier lifetime. would u rather have a doe that twins or triplets once a year for 8+ years or a doe that singles twice a year for 5?
    i have also heard that people let thier bucks range with thier does because "the does need protection and a leader". my queen doe does just fine and puts the buck in his place during the breeding season.

4. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

Please don't misunderstand me, I only want them to breed once per year, but I didn't know pygmy's would come back into heat before fall. I thought they were like deer, they only come into season in the fall when the cold weather started. I was reading books about goats in general, and from what I was reading, it seemed that way, but they didn't talk about Pygmy's. I don't know if they would come back into season right after freshening or if nature would slow it some and the 2 1/2 months they were together ended up being ok. I guess only time will tell. I was just looking for opinions as to weather I should be ok, or weather I am probably too late.

Jay

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

well they may or may not have come into heat again, and if they did, they may or may not have accepted the buck. pygmies are known as a breed that they come into heat at all times of the year. (i breed mine in jan-feb) i remember hearing that they wont go into heat unless you take away her babies. i am not too sure about that though.

6. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

My pygmies give birth around July 4th weekend and again the week between Christmas and New Years....have been for years....you'll have to seperate the buck from them to keeps this from happening.....I've got an idea to lease or rent him out 6 months a year, giving the mommas a break and letting the next fella down the road get a herd started.....

This year I kept young nannies and their mommas, and the mommas must've been bred back, even with nursing youngun's, cause they gave me a batch again this last 4th.

Thanks,
    Pam and Scott
    http://www.justkiddinfarm.com/