Another problem

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have some 5 week old kids that look ill. They are all hunched up, not playing, mostly standing still, or laying down. Some are shivering at times. I am not sure if it is because they are all eating more grain. Or because I ivomeced the does last night.
    Will ivomec effect the kids?
    While I was checking them out I found several of the kids have small crusty scabs on their skin. Could this be mange? Should I ivomec the kids?
    The kids look healthy enough otherwise. They are all thick and muscular looking.

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Ivermectin is not good for kids. Valbazen is a better choice.

Here is a website that may offer some help:

http://fiascofarm.com click on "site map" and scroll down

I don't know what the crusty sores are but maybe someone else does.
    Perhaps the fiasco farm site will have info on it, it has a wealth of information

I hope they get better.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

BTW, i have given Ivermectin to nursing does before and it has not hurt the kids.

Also, have the kids just started on grain? Are they eating too much too fast? offer baking soda to them if you think that's the case.

4. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Take their temp. if it is low, get them under a heat lamp or rub them down with towels warmed in the dryer. Are they exhibiting any other symptoms that could indicate a cold? Antibiotics may 'possibly' be in order. Give them baking soda 'just in case' they are eating too much grain. Have they had C&D shots yet?

5. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I would treat for cocci-- and give everyone- Vit. B

Liz

6. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

Are these kids still nursing? Usually kids hunched up and not active are hungry. They still should be getting milk with the grain. The crusty sores, if they are on or around their mouth and eyes, could be soremouth. If it is they can spread it to the mothers udders and maybe they are not getting much milk? I my opinion I would not deworm the babies, 5 week olds should not be wormy. The CD&T is a good idea if you have not given it already.

7. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Warms my heart to see that site mentioned. I've visited many times. Has anyone here tried the Molly's Herbal's product that she makes?

8. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

You mentioned crusty scabs on their skin, could be orf. Check the doe's udders for scabs/sores too. Orf(sore mouth) doesn't just show up on the mouth, but can be seen in the groin area, under the tail, on the neck, ears and legs. Basically anywhere on the body. It will affect their appetite, so keep an eye on those kids to make sure they are still eating. You may have to pull them and bottle feed.

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

If it could be orf, be careful. People can get it from their livestock.