Another oberhasli question..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kittikity, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity Small scale homesteader

Do oberhasli have a breeding season or do they breed all year?

2. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

I haven't had a breeding season yet with my Obies. I believe they are in season between July and Spring(??) I have been trying to figure out how to tell when they are in heat, we don't have a buck so I haven't figured it out yet. Only know it happens every 18 days!

Arden Ward

3. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

I bred my goats in January, and they kidded in early June. We just kept the buck in with her for a month.

4. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

No. They are dairy goats and are in season just like every other dairy goat.

~August to November

5. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

Ours cycles with the rest of our dairy goats...sometimes leaving goats with bucks will make them cycle earlier...we allow our bucks to stay with the herd once they are bred, separate nursing trios from the herd for a couple of weeks right after kidding, then they are one big happy family again until July, when the bucks are moved to the bachelor pad to prevent any early breeding and to increase "desire" when we selectively breed in November...too cold here to have babies before April!!!

Sometimes you can tell when your does are cycling by their mounting the other does, moist, pink vulvas, sometimes a little swollen. Best bet is a "buck rag" if you don't keep a buck. Have a friend rub a cotton cloth on a stinky buck (in rut), and seal it in a glass jar. Present the "cloth buck" to your girls...their interest will be more than curiousity if they are in heat!!! If they ignore it, seal it up again, and try another time...have your breeding buck lined up...once your doe is in heat, you only have a small window to get her bred before you miss the cycle...

BTW- our Oberhasli doe is for sale, 3yrs old, first freshening, twinned at first breeding.
    DD is switching to a full fiber herd...