Another not-yet-a-newbie question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by onyxblue, Sep 18, 2004.

1. onyxblue

onyxblue Member

It seems like whenever people talk about bees, they talk about honey production. What about beeswax? How much wax does an average hobbyist hive get in a year?

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I am also more interested in wax than honey.
    I plan to build the top bar hives, that is if the storms will slow up enough for lumber prices to come back down.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I am not sure. I DO know that it takes about 7 pounds of honey to feed enough bees to make one pound of wax.

You MIGHT try the old Lusenet forum at www.greenspun.com. Click in under lusenet, then under Country families forum.

Stan makes candles from his wax, so I expect he would know. He seems to have stabilized since his last fit of odd behavior. It has become a fairly quiet forum since everyone left for here, I only go about once a week.

I don't know how many people here were on the old website, so I will explain a bit. We came here mostly to get away from Stan, who went off the deep end and started trolling in massive amounts. He seems to be much better, now. I suspect they adjusted his psych meds.

4. onyxblue

onyxblue Member

Thanks for the info, and the warning! I'll see what I can find.