Another newbie question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by prairiegirl, Nov 9, 2006.

1. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Stanchions, headgates, chutes.................what do we need?

We are at the point of adding more to our barn area. We need something for giving shots and pregnancy checks. We hope to be milking in the Spring.
    What do we really need? When we've asked a couple of different farmers, they didn't really give us a concrete answer.
    So, what do you use for giving shots? Checking for pregnancy? AIing?
    We have limited funds and want to make the most of this purchase.

We are looking at a couple of used stanchions tomorrow. What should we look for? We're told there are 2 in good condition for $30.00.

Thanks

prairiegirl

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

$30 sounds like a great price sure hope I can find some like that, I think though depending on the cow and how gentle she is you dont even need them.I use to milk my bessie with out anything but some feed.Though I had a mean jersey also for a bit that would kick the dickens out of you, I sold her to an old man that had a staunchion and said he could handle her bad behaviour.

3. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

we use a headgate with a feed plat form on other side. works for giving shots too.

4. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Let's see...a simple AI chute would work for shots and preg checks, too. My chute's attached on the outside of a pasture corner fencepost and its bracing post that's 8' from it, just wide [3'] and long [8'] enough for her, made of two 4x4" posts with 3-2x4s for fence rails on two sides[inside], about the same height as the pasture fence, and a chain across the back of it; I keep her busy with her COB and alfalfa pellets whenever she goes in there.

I also had a simple stanchion that can be nearly completely broken down for storage when not in use, built into the corner of our garage, right by the door, because I have no barn of any sort. I have 3'x6' heavy rubber mats for her to stand on, and a feeder box for her COB and alfalfa pellets on the other side of headgate of it. All made of 4x4 posts and 2x4 rails. Works quite well, I think. I posted pictures of this sometime back.

Good luck with your plans! It's been a real challenge for me, but I've enjoyed it.

5. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Once you decide and build/install your stanchion/chute etc, spend as much time as is necessary getting your cow used to it before you need to use it for something she will hate. :rolleyes: Feed her in there get her to associate it with 'good' things.