Another newbie looking for answers about pygmy goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KarenCCC, Jul 5, 2005.

1. KarenCCC

KarenCCC Member

I have read some of the threads on this forum and will continue to look thru them as well as go thru back issues of Countryside, but a few quick questions... I just bought two pygmy goats, about 4 months old, both does, and I think twins. I have the barn, the hay, the pasture and the pen. (our pony needs a 5'foot wire mesh pen to keep her in at night, so thus, the goat pen). However maybe I should have got one big goat, instead of small ones as I am afraid that the little ones will squeeze out of every available space. We are going to build a big pen for night time and for if we ever get a vacation again, and I know this has to be high. I will try the sleeping platform as suggested by JoyKelly too. My questions are about shots, worms, sickness ???? In the old days, we always had a goat tied out back somewhere, except for the story about the time my Grandmother gave a goat a bottle of Pepto-Bismal, I was not aware on how much care goats need? Do they need a lot of care? Will I need a regular Vet? It is hard to get a Vet to come to our farm for just one pony now. One Vet that would just gave up her practice and another is getting ready to retire soon. Did I take on too much without doing enough research first?

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Goats actually are healthy, easy keepers. Keep in mind that when you read through the threads, people don't really post unless something's gone wrong. They do need an anual CD/T vaccination, and they need to have their feet trimmed monthly. The minerals you use for your pony will work just fine for the goats, as will the hay. Big goats get out of fences just as well as little ones do - part of owning them is dreaming up new ways to keep them where they're supposed to be (or at least out of the garden and fruit trees). My goats make themselves nests in their straw bedding to sleep in - they're happy with that.

If you can find a vet who actually knows anything about goats - sing, dance, shout to the heavens in praise! Most vets who do have a bit of a clue about small ruminants will treat your goats the way they would treat a sheep. So in general be prepared to do most of your own vetting. It's really not that hard. As I said goats usually are healthy critters, you'll get the occasional sniffle or bout of diarhea (scours) but that's it. Sometimes harder or stranger illnesses come up, but there are a couple of good books and lots of internet resources to help you out with that (I do recommend "Diseases of the Goat" by John Matthews).

3. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I also am new at the goat thing. I have 2 young pygmy goats my self. I found the book "Pygmy Goats Management and veternary care" by Lorrie Boldrick and Lydia Hale extremely useful. It has a good deal of info including what to do for minor problems and when to call the vet. It has a little bit about just about everything in it. Its a good place to start. Other than keeping my little billy in ( soon to be a whether) my nanny stays where she is put. They all have their own personalities. Get to know them. They make me smile on a daily basis. Enjoy them they aren't too much work and they make every trip to the feild and to the barn worth every moment of trying to get Billy to stay put!!!

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

actually your idea to get young doe goats is probably very good. also, the idea to get two was also a good idea because they are herd animals and will destroy things in thier boredom if they dont have a companion. i dont think ill ever get any new goats over the age of 12 weeks because the older they are the harder to tame they are. pygmys are what i own and i think you'll love them and thier antics!!! have fun with your new babies!!!

5. KarenCCC

KarenCCC Member

I did go thru the back issues I had of Countryside and find some answers to my questions. I have had the goats for a week now and they are getting used to their new home. One would not stay in the pen and everytime we thought we knew the escape route and patched it up, the goat would get out again! My husband finally hid in the barn and waited untill the goats thought they were alone to watch and see where it was escaping! At least with two goats, and only one escaping, the one loose goat did not travel far. I have been looking for a book on pygmy goats, so I wiil definately look for the Pygmy Goats Management book. My husband said he can take care of the trimming of the goats feet, he is used to trimming and cleaning horse's feet.