another "move the double wide" question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Aug 3, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

except it's not about moving it. i will need a place to live after the trailer is moved, while the house is being built.

any suggestions? a little camper trailer? conversion van? i'll put everything in storage except some clothes, the tv, and a way to stay warm or cool depending on the season this finally takes place. i need to stay here on the farm, to keep on eye on the livestock and garden. don't mind roughing it a bit, and it would be nice if it were something i could use again later. keeping the cost down is a consideration as well. i'm too stingy to go out and buy something new, for temporary use.

any and all suggestions are appreciated!

well, a tent is probably too extreme for long term living. something a tad more solid will be good. :)

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

If you are willing to live like Sancraft, get one of those larger rent to own storage sheds that look something like a cabin. You can then fix it up and keep it as a storage shed, or guest cabin, or office after your house is built.

I see you are in TN, and I know I've seen them in Fayetteville and in N. alabama - and sancraft in GA, they are about 12 ft wide and can be 30 ft long with lofts. You can get one configured your way.

I'm sure Sancraft would be willing to tell you all about her cabin, and three living in it about 1/2 a week each week or more per week.

Angie

3. marvella

that is an excellent idea!! i have read many of sancraft's posts. that would be more room, and usable storage afterward. there is a place in town that sells then, will deliver and set up payments too.

excellent idea!!! thanks!!

4. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I lived in a shed ... it worked out okay. You can read about it on my blog: http://applejackcreek.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_applejackcreek_archive.html (scroll down to the "Cabin Living" post.

Suggestions were I to do it again:

- build tall enough to put in a sleeping loft so your beds don't take up all the room (that's my most significant lesson!)
    - insulate the walls and ceiling even if you think you won't need to (you will!)
    - make sure you have windows on both sides for cross ventilation, with screens
    - have a source of heat (I ended up with a kerosene heater, but if you are handy and have enough space a woodstove would be better - less stench and you can cook on it)
    - power and running water are REALLY nice (I had neither!)

5. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Yes indeed buy or build a little shed. 10x12 is plenty big enough to camp out in.
    You could build a 10x12 pole shed with a raised floor in 3-4 days with simple materials and used doors and windows. If you put a door or window in each wall for good cross ventilation, you would be quite comfortable. Build a counter along one short end and you can set a sink with a drain out the wall for washing dishes and yourself. A little wood stove would heat it with ease and give you a place to cook. A little dorm fridge under the counter and you are set. Put a bed under the other end window and use it as a couch with lots of cushions.
    A chest of drawers and a few hooks and a table and a chair and you are snug as a bug. When the house is done, move out the furniture and you have a nice workshop, shed with a built in work bench.

6. justmyluk

justmyluk Well-Known Member

Go to an RV dealership and tell the manager you are looking for something for less than $1000. They are always taking in trades that they really don't want but take the trade anyway just to make the deal. They might show giving the person a couple thousand for the trade but in reality they are just discounting the new camper that much. When the customer makes the deal and leaves they show $1 (not a typo) on their books for the trade. How do I Know this? I used to work for one. You might be surprised what you can find for a few hundred bucks ( complete with bathroom kitchen and bedroom).
    Just a thought...

7. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan building sheds and such for true short term living. The nice thing about an RV is most all the required infrastructure is already in place - hot water, heat, air-conditioning, shower, sink, bed, closets, oven/stove etc. Yes, some rv's may take some fix-up work, but most likely would be far less than putting all that kind of infrastructure into a shed. Particularly if you are just going to use the shed as a garden shed or something after the house is built.

You can expand the usefulness of a trailer by putting a simple front porch/deck on it, and possibly screening that in if you like. Having a "spot" to be outside gives some relief to the small feeling of a trailer. May want to give consideration to a simple roof structure over the trailer and trailer deck. This removes the leaking roof possibility and you could use the structure for a machine shed after the rv is gone.

Be very wary of the "conversion vans". Those things are expensive, and in very few of them can you stand up straight. There is nothing more frustrating than waking up in the morning and not being able to stand up straight in your "home".

8. bare

bare Head Muderator

Heck, almost anyplace in this country you can get a single wide mobile home for a thousand bucks. 750-1000 square feet of instant space with all the ammenities. Probably about the same price as a decent shed. Most even come with basic appliances (stove, refrigerator, central heating).

9. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a 26ft traveltrailer/camper for $1000 and lived in it for app 4 years. It had new carpet/nice for a older camper. A single man is living in/renting it now for 2 years, because I bought a 34ft one for $200 and had to do some work on it, but still less than $1000 total in it with new tub, new gas hot water heater(It had a electric one). I have been living in it for close 3 years. I have the lumber dried and most of the material to build my cabin-------got to get busy. Good Luck!! Randy

Edit to add. You can always resale the camper and get your money back in most cases-----shoot So far I have received almost $5000 in rent on the $1000 camper I bought. If you are in a cold area---this winter you can do as I do----I hang thick comforters(I buy for a few bucks at yard sales) on the walls and put plastic over most of the windows. I put Free carpet on the floors. I sleep Warm.

10. marvella

LOTS of good ideas, y'all!

i've been to town to look at sheds. i found one i like, 10 x 12 with a small loft at either end. as soon as it cools off some, i'm going to see if it will fit where i want to put it. it willl be handy to have for storage, and or office/ study/ guest room. :) definitely yes! to a couple of windows with screens. a fan too. the heat is miserable right now.

i think building it is an even better idea!! i am definitely going to look into that. the cost will be about the same i think.

good point about the conversion van- that would get old pretty quick.

it won't be used for very long, i hope. i can't imagine trying to spend a winter in one. i've lived off grid and carrying water for extended periods several times, so that sort of thing doesn't bother me. i figure a long extension cord should work just fine.

i've done a lot of camping too, so instead of a bed, i might just use a thermarest and sleeping bag or a blanket. small fridge, two burners and i'll be styling.:) my son lives not far, so i can bathe and do laundry there as needed.

bare, the trailer is a good idea, except i'm pulling out one trailer. kind of counterproductive to pull another one in.:)

the thing about rv's is that i would like to be able to use them later. with the price of gas, that is kind of prohibitive, and i probably wouldn't have a use for it but once or twice a year. same with small travel trailer, in "used" condition. it's temporary shelter, but of no real use later.

thanks to one and all, you guys are the best!

11. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Not sure on a big one.But i priced out building a 10x12.It was only 400 dollars difference.Ask them if they have any used ones coming back,if not on the lot already.Ive noticed a few here that where almost half the price of a new one.Looked to only be about a years worth of weathering on the siding. :shrug:
    We used an old tin wood stove in our 16x20 work shop on time.Had to leave a door cracked open half the time,cause it got so hot.You could just cut a hole in a piece of sheet metal, put over the window and run the stove pipe threw it.
    You could nail up some of that sheet foam board for insulation.And duck tape the cracks.
    I cut the end off an extension cord and pushed it threw a hole i drilled in the wall of my rental shed.Nailed in some electrical boxes,added switches and plugs like a house.Took 2hrs and cost near nothing.Other than the roll of wire.Which you could use up in your cabin later.
    Heck a 30 dollar ceiling fan hanging from the ceiling would even be cool.You could move it into your cabin when its ready.
    As for saving space.I seen a bunk bed with a desk under it on TV last night i thought was cool.I'm thinking a couple of 2x4s and a sheet of ply wood here.

You can get sheds custom made,from the place i got mine.And i don't think they cost any more than one already on the lot.Just the changes you make cost extra.Might have them hang a regular house door where you want it.And some camper style sky lights in the roof,that open and close to let out the summer heat.Instead of the normal vents they put in.

I dont currently live in my shed.But Ive thought a many a times it would be far better than the dog house should the wife ever kick me out of the house. :D