Another Milk Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MaryW, Jan 16, 2005.

1. MaryW

MaryW Active Member

Can someone tell me why my goat milk taste funny??? Just don't taste like a friends.
    I have done everthing she told me to do. I went by everything she said and I'm telling you my milk taste funny. What is wrong? What can I do to correct this.
    I feed goat ration, cracked corn, crimpped oaks, sweet feed all mixed up. This 3 times a day with 1 cup alph.(?) pellets and also hay.

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Is the goat ration medicated? Does it contain cottenseed meal? Do you milk into stainless or glass, strain immediatly and cool quickly? Is her belly and udder shaved and clean? Does the barn area you are milking in, smell good? Does she need to be wormed? Whats the ppm of copper in your loose minerals? What exactly are you tasting in the milk? Goaty? Is it like this fresh and warm from the doe, or is it strong, or acidic? What breed is she? Vicki

3. MaryW

MaryW Active Member

Not sure about the medicated goat ration. I will ask where i buy it tomorrow. I milk in glass and as soon as i do I come in and talk care of it. Strain and cool quickly. Yes milk in clean area. The taste is I guess is kind of bitter. She is a Alpine and has had her first Jan 6th. Little girl and she is so sweet. Mary

4. MaryW

MaryW Active Member

Forgot to say she has been wormed. Also the lady I got milk from said hers did the same thing for about 1 month and then all was ok.

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Also what is she browsing on? Is she eating weeds or pine needles? This stuff will put a bitter taste in your milk. I have Alpines and my goats milk tasted bad for a while. Got rid of all of the weeds around the place, honey suckle off the fence line, kept them away from the pine needles. During lactation I fed a dry mix horse grain (without molasses in it) topped with a handfull of black oil sunflower seeds (WalMart), Alfalfa Pellets, coastal bermuda grass hay, I took a bucket of slightly soapy water and rag to the barn with me, washed the girls udder good, dried it off with paper towel, milked her into a stainless steel bucket that was washed and dried right before milking. Then I sprayed their teats with a mixture of bleach and water (about 2 tablespoons to a quart). I took the milk straight to the house strained it into a glass jar and put it in ice water in the kitchen sink to cool quickly. Let it set there for 30 -45 minutes then put it in the fridge. I also think one of my does might have had something going on because I gave her an antibiotic shot for 3 days in a row. ( I discarded the milk from her for 2 days after I quit giving the shots) I also wormed the girls with Cydectin and Valbazen. From then on their milk was great.

6. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

When goats first freshen{have babies} their first milk is colostrum. it is thick and what babies need to protect them from infection. After a few days the milk starts to clear up. In our experience the off taste goes away after 3-5 days. If Mother doesn't have enough babies to use all her milk at first; we milk out the excess milk and give it to our cats. When the milk clears we use it. We only milk out what the babies don't use and don't separarte them at night from the mothers until they are four weeks old. Then we milk mornings. The rest of the day the little ones are with their mother to nurse. You didn't say how long your goat has been milking during this lactation? Also what you feed can affect the taste of the milk. For example turnips have a strong taste and fed to the goat will affect the taste of the milk. In the spring new grass changes the taste of the milk also'. We have a separate place to milk away from the area of the barn where the goats stay as milk will pick up barn smells. We milk in a stainless steel container and immediatly cover it and bring it to the hose. It is strained through a clean linen cloth placed in a funnel which is placed in a glass bottle. It is immediatly cooled in the fridge. We never put milk in plastic bottles as plastic can also affect the taste. One other thing ; if a goat has mastitis {infection in the udder} her milk will have a bad taste. The udder should be very soft without hardness when she is milked out. Good luck. Linda