another lump on chest

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Paso, May 9, 2005.

1. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

I posted a thread about my goat having a lump on her chest. Well we got rid of her because we thought she had that disease that spreads to the others well now I have 2 more Im looseing moy goats that I love. Is there anything else I can do to keep them? :waa: My husband keeps taking them away and now Im getting down to my best girls. All I have read is that ther is no cure !!!!!

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I don't remember much about your last post or the advice given but here's mine: call a vet and have them diagnose the problem. I wouldn't give my goats out until I knew for sure what the problem is.

3. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

Agreed......call a vet before you lose all the goats...mine had a lump on her jaw....we had a vet test it and it was not CL. Knowing whether or not it is, will give you peace of mind.

4. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We have 2 pet goats and one of them developed an abcess under the jaw We opened it and found a thick, white cheesy substance that we took to the vet. It was CL. We have had them for 2 years and they've never been off the place since we got them. Our vet says it can be in the soil here. We are keeping them and treating the abcesses as necessary. Is it really necessary to destroy goats because of this if they have already infected the herd, and you aren't planning on selling them? Mine are wethers so milking is not an issue.

5. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

CL is so highly contagious, even to humans, that I wouldn't keep them on my property ever!

I wouldn't sell them either. You wouldn't want to pass that disease on to another herd.