Another Local Small Hardware Store closing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hunter63, Aug 11, 2017.

1. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Our local ACE Hardware store is closing......have been in a strip mall for years...in several spaces.

Kinda sad as a lot of the Mom and Pop hardware stores have closed down.....my favorite was a small store, with lawn equipment mechanic, on duty....rentals and...."The Guy"sitting on a bar stool right inside the door directing traffic with his cane.

Walk in, He said what do you need....said 2" 1/4-20 bolt
    He said "what are you going to use it for"...
    Said "Put new ceder slats back on the porch swing...
    He said..."You want carriage bolts.....asle 6, left side, bin about at your knees....."

Today I stopped in the ACE to get a screen replaced for my front combination door....Dogs put some holes in it jumping and barking a passing dogs..LOL

WTH ....store was 1/2 empty.....

Asked,...What's up, ..store closing ...still fixing screens?

The guy says...'Yeah, we are still fixing screen, just leave it we will call you...."
    "The mall has been sold and the new guy wants the land....so building are going down.... gotta be out by end of september."

Said "OK...And I want metal instead of fabric...." and left...

Kid calls me back about 5:30.... new hours closing s at 6:00.
    Went right over to the store....about a 1/2 mile.

Walked in...Young kid puts down his phone,and Taco Bell soda..."Are you here for the screen....?
    Said "Yup..."
    Hands it to me..points at the cashier in the front...then follows me up...sucking on the soda a playing with his phone.

Get to the cashier....She is ringing it up...I noticed is was fabric...NOT metal.
    WTH?
    Looked at the kid...it was obvious he had just finished it.....asked "What's up?'

I point to the ticket in my hand....said....."Replace with aluminum"

Kid had the deer in the headlight eyes.....stopped sucking on his soda....and said..."Well, it was fabric...Aluminum is a PITA. "

Told him."Yeah I know THAT's why you got it to do....and tough to keep it straight. (bad habit of twisting

Handed it to him and said...Call me when you get it right......and left.

I wanted so bad to say, "I you put down the phone and soda... pay attention to the job at hand....maybe your store wouldn't be closing"

Couldn't do it as he had a severe case of "Oh Ship.....My butt is in trouble...and won't make any money today"

Still gonna miss Mom and Pop hardware stores.....
    Go to Lowes...can't find anyone to pick on.....

Oh well.

Bob Johnsun and miggyb like this.
  2. Heritagefarm

Heritagefarm E pluribus unum Supporter

I'm actually quite fond of Lowes and Home Depot and will not particularly miss the small stores.

I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. I do like the people I find at the small stores. But in my experience, Lowes just saves me so much money, the nostalgia of the small store can rarely compensate for it. I have nearly everything right there, the paints are usually $5 a gallon cheaper, and I can look up products on my phone to find them. No big deal. I also save 5% on every purchase, and sometimes 10%, by using my Lower credit card and paying the balanced immediately. They've been pretty nice to me, and currently I have a $4,000 limit, which is a lot of monthly shopping! I never even go that high. And if I need to, I can go 6 months to a year or so interest free.

Home Depot is pretty good too, but for some reason I usually like Lowes better. Maybe it's the color. I can't stand orange.

Declan and hunter63 like this.

3. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

The nearest Lowes is 45 miles away. Home Depot 40 miles the other direction. Menards near both of them. My local hardware is 10 minutes away and if I call at 5 minutes before closing and say I'm on my way they'll have what I need waiting for me when I rush in late. If I have a problem they've seen it, can talk me through fixing it or know the local guy who can and have his number in their card file. They'll even make the call. They contribute to and sponser many community events. They worked with one of their suppliers to get all the paint donated to repaint the grade school rooms a couple years ago. I can walk in and find what I need without negotiating a 5 acre parking lot and walking around a 20,000 sq ft store to then go through the automated checkout. I can drive to town, shop, gossip and be home in the same time it takes me to navigate from the parking lot to the store and back. I'll pay a bit more and keep my local guy as long as I can.

AmericanStand, mnn2501 and hunter63 like this.
  4. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

As to the OP. I understand your frustration with the kid but his service had nothing to do with the store closing. You should have read him the riot act just because. There's still time.

5. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

I too can drive to my local hardware stores; one 7 miles to the south and one 8 miles to the north. Or I can drive 35 miles to the west or 30 miles to the north to a Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. The local places run about 5%-8% higher than the big box stores. If the local store has it in stock I go with them. Why? My money stays local would be one reason. My time is also worth something, so driving 45 minutes one way and then again back home to save 8% is silly to me.. I'll pay for convenience...which is why more and more I use sites like Amazon. Mom and pop aren't the only ones suffering. Look at all of the decaying, closing and partially filled shopping malls. It is the result of the .com shopping experience.

AmericanStand likes this.
  6. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

You know you're in a good hardware store when every inch is stuffed. One even had things hanging from the ceilings. Others had boxes on the floors. There are still niches for the mom and pops.

AmericanStand likes this.
  7. susieneddy

susieneddy Well-Known Member

We have a Home Depot about 35 minutes from us. We buy Behr paint and concrete sealer there because the local store doesn't carry it. They have a off brand that isn't that great.
    We prefer the local hardware stores down here. There is one in particular where you ask the lady if they have what you want and she tells the guy where to go find it. You just stand there and wait. Luckily for us she speaks English. Her English is better than my Spanish

hunter63 likes this.
  8. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

It's my understanding that Home Depot and Behr have an agreement now that won't let anybody but HD sell Behr paints. My hometown hardware guy said that it's made by another company anyway, and his store brand is the same as........... I was skeptical, so I went to HD for my Pinto White paint that I've used for years, rather than start over.

My hometown guy (Do-It Best) now has blister pacs and "assortments". Hs prices are somewhat higher, and Menards has lumber, so.......

And he's my down the street neighbor......He voted to put weed killer in the lake, saying nobody does any fishing anymore, just water skiing. So, I also buy my bobbers and bait from Meijer, right next door to Menards, and his sits on the shelf, for all I know.

Nor exactly Mom & Pop, he has four stores altogether.......

geo

9. hunter63

This is my opinion as well........The checkout lady in my across the fence neighbor.

We have a Lowes 8 blocks away...if I stand in the street I can see the garden center.....
    They may be a little cheaper....but I can never find anyone that will help me.
    Apparently others have had the experience as the parking lot is mostly empty most of the time.

Now 8 blocks passed Lowe's... is our Menards.....
    I go there alot.....Yes, for good regular and sale prices,....also generally good selection.

I can be anywhere in that store ....and if it seems I am not finding what I am looking for....I have associats ask me if they can help.....
    If I am in the wrong place.....They say "follow me"...and take off to lead you to proper location.

Just sad to see the personnel service and friendly faces go away.

10. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Local hardware closed years ago around here. They still had some NOS parts for some old horse machinery. Its now ebay and Amazon and Fedex/UPS/USPS. And unfortunately lot things now come on slow boat from China as American sellers not even in same ballpark far as price though what they are selling from same China factories. Had things arrive in my mailbox and had to scratch my head why I ordered them, it had been month or more.

11. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

I half agree with you. Our Lowes is fantastic. Most of the people who work in there have side jobs etc in the area of whatever department they are working in. Very knowledgeable. I am not sure the people who work at our Home Depot even know they are employed there. They know nothing. Plus Lowe's isn't as nearly fine-printy with their military discounts as Home Depot can be.

Local hardware stores tend to be filled with crap nobody wants. We had one that the people had no business buying to begin with. Shocking that when people go to a hardware store they are looking for things like nails and bolts and not cast iron cauldrons, wind chimes, and weather vanes.

How Do I and Heritagefarm like this.
  12. hunter63

I guess Lowe's store varies from place to place.
    Last time I was in ours...looking for 4" gal carriage bolts for a project .
    Was there as Menards was out.

Got to the hardware section...3 guys hanging around the desk...BS'ing...and playing on the phone
    Waited for them to notice me,,then asked where they might be.
    On guy pointed down the aisle....I went there and found them on a big box on the floor.

Got down on my knees...picked out my bolts/nuts/washers...and walked away.
    Went to the checkout. lady say..."Find everything OK...?"
    Told her...."Yeah, no thanks to those lazy kids on the phone"...

Y'all can keep Lowes.

mreynolds likes this.
  13. Heritagefarm

Yeah... it depends on the store. They don't pay much, so they wind up with young people who've never even used a hammer before. But the small hardware stores could sometimes be the same. My local Ace I stopped using because they were literally hiring the kids from McDonalds when they got tired of working at the restaurant.

14. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

Ours is the opposite. Everybody who works there is older than dirt. While they all know exactly where everything is, they also all act you are about to rob the place. They will literally stay right on top of you no matter what you are doing and not let you just browse the store. They treat everybody like they are shoplifters about to be caught. I have had several people tell me the same thing happens to them when they go in there so they avoid going there if at all possible because they stay uncomfortably close even if you tell them you are just looking around to see if there is anything else you need.

15. Heritagefarm

Yeah... I don't tolerate that sort of behavior at all. But at Lowe's one time, I was buying a brand new Hitachi miter saw. I had also just bought a soda, told the cashier I had already bought it. She asked to see the receipt! It was so insulting. If I'm buying a $500, I don't need to steal a soda!

Declan likes this.
  16. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Some years ago i went in a local hardware store and the old guy working there kept following me at my heels all around the store. The store was new so i was seeing what they had. I hate to be rabbit dogged so i turned around and said what are you doing? keeping an eye on things? Thats when i noticed he had one eye. I felt foolish and i became a good customer and he was a good guy. very helpfull.

17. mreynolds

mreynolds Well-Known Member

We have no more mom and pops hardware here anymore. I go to the lumber yard most times though. I just havent found the big box to be any cheaper for me. They charge for delivery and its always next day anyway. I just call in what I need at McCoys and get it delivered same day. Even after 2 pm or so most times.

I frequent several construction forums. One friend of mine went into a Lowes somewhere up near NY. He asked the guy if they had the electrical short spray. The guy asked him what it was. He said its a spray you spray into a plug when it has a short in it to fix it. The guy told him he thought they moved it to the paint dept last month near the spray paint.

Geez.....

Our Lowes does have some knowledgeable retirees but the are hard to find as the regulars know them and snatch them up. When it first opened it was more of the short spray type employee. So at least they are learning from experience.

18. no really

no really Well-Known Member

We have a small general store in the town near us. It has a nice selection of tools and building supplies, nothing fancy but better than a 60 to a 120 mile trip. Good people own it and will order larger amounts of lumber if needed. But they don't take credit cards or checks. Love that place.

19. rjburk

rjburk Active Member

Maybe the guy told him they moved it to the paint dept. to be an smartazz like your friend ?

20. mreynolds

mreynolds Well-Known Member

May be.