Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is downloading on here not violate copyright? I am not going to make cd's and sell them or anything so am I ok?

·
Voice of Reason
53,227 Posts
How is downloading on here not violate copyright? I am not going to make cd's and sell them or anything so am I ok?
It is most probably violating the copyright if it's new music. If you're like me and listen to songs from 40 years ago (Crosby Stills & Nash, Peter Paul & Mary, and so on) then there's not a lot of commercial interest in what you do. For newer music it's a different story.

For contemporary music, remove the mp3s from your shared directory immediately after downloading. That will keep it from being shared. The people enforcing that material are after people who are sharing on a wholesale basis, not people who download a few songs.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So once i get the songs into my itunes, i should go back and delete them?

·
Voice of Reason
53,227 Posts
So once i get the songs into my itunes, i should go back and delete them?
If I were you, I would create a dedicated directory for my mp3s that was not shared and just keep them there. There's no reason to delete them if they're not being shared. You iPod people have to do that 'synchronize' thing. If you had a generic mp3 player you could just copy them directly.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have an ipod. I have no clue how to use one. I did get a shuffle for Christmas a few years ago but I still have no idea how to put songs on it. So what is a good generic mp3 player and how to you get them over to it? Can you tell how computer illiterate I am?

·
Voice of Reason
53,227 Posts
So what is a good generic mp3 player and how to you get them over to it? Can you tell how computer illiterate I am?
It doesn't matter what brand you get, as long as it has the features you want. You should be able to source a good mp3 player with 1 or 2 gb of memory for under $20. Here's one at eBay for $12.99 with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2GB-Metal-mini-clip-Mp3-player-R-GO-2-GB-Gift-BLACK_W0QQitemZ180301400175

It will come with a USB cord. You won't need drivers if you have XP or Vista. Just plug it in and it will appear in My Computer as a new drive. Just copy your mp3s into the new drive.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
just browsing through and saw this one and thought to add my two cents:

go with torrents.....security is a lot better as far as tracking and in my case a lot faster. You can pretty much, as I found out, find reams of things within the torrent system and like I said, the security is even better.

You basically are downloading in packets vs one large file, so dropped files are also easier picked up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It doesnt make it ok, and yes you are violating copyright and the RIAA dont care if its one song or one thousand songs. Pretty much every ISP runs deep packet inspections and so forth. EVERYTHING is logged these days.

just be careful.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Agree with MadAussie.

If you want to play, be prepared to pay.

They just wacked a bunch of University of Maine students for this.

I think they said the average settlement was around $800.00. Maybe more maybe less but that's as close as I recall from the story in the paper about a month ago.

·
Voice of Reason
53,227 Posts
Agree with MadAussie.

If you want to play, be prepared to pay.

They just wacked a bunch of University of Maine students for this.

I think they said the average settlement was around $800.00. Maybe more maybe less but that's as close as I recall from the story in the paper about a month ago.
It happens, but you'll usually find that the people who get busted are sharing a lot of contemporary music persistently (on a 24/7 basis). My advice is that any music that will have a commercial interest (any music released in the past 10 years) be moved out of the shared directory as soon as it's downloaded, and keep your sharing application (i.e., Limewire, Ares, etc.) closed when you're not actively using it.

There is also the issue of "participation". Your participation is a measure of how many files you share. Some users won't share to people with a low participation rating. What I do is keep some oldies in my shared folder (that's what I listen to anyway). Oldies (50s, 60s, & 70s music) may still be under copyright, but since there is no commercial interest in that music there is no one enforcing it. Therefore, you might consider keeping 20 or 30 oldie songs in your shared folder.

You need to take your exposure with respect to contemporary music seriously, but there's no reason to be frightened away from the technology altogether. Everyone's doing it.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
and don't assume that everything picked up and DL is copyrighted. There are lots of unsigned musicians out there and tons of information available, just look.

now most people use the P2P system to share and transfer music, this is true, but there are some sites that are a great place to find old books, out of print and the such....like the soil and water site, plenty of info, and legal to Dl....

make sure that if you want to ensure your privacy, a peer guardian is installed, and as stated, don't DL unless you know the risk and accept the outcome....

but as with anything.....safety and security are the best options...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts