Another lamb, another question

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by decamper, Mar 15, 2005.

1. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

Things went better with ewe #2, our black Suffolk. She had a black lamb around noon today. She looked scared...she is at least five years old and this is her first. Had to leave for an appointment and she gave birth to #2 while I was gone. This one didn't make it. I did make sure lamb#1 was doing ok before I left. I am learning!

So can we put both ewes and babies in the same pen? We don't have a barn, just small buildings. With two more ewes to go, we will need to double up.

2. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I suggest if possible keep the mother isolated with her lamb(s) for a day or two otherwise, IMHO, you run the risk of lambs not bonding to the right mother.

3. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

I wondered if they should be kept separate in order to bond. I can see that I have alot to learn. LOL : )

The first mother is clearly wanting to go to the pen with the other ewes; she is trying to get out of her pen by pushing on the fence and calling out to the other mothers. She might be happy to have another ewe and lamb join her.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd let #1 go back with the flock with lamb and pen #2 seperately. #2's lamb could get confused and #2 ewe could get aggresive especially as she's is inexperienced!