ANOTHER Hurricane heading towards the Southeast.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Sep 9, 2004.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

It sure is getting old around here.

Hurricane Ivan is forecast to hit Florida and of course that means LOTS of wind and rain here in SC.....

This certainly has been a busy hurricane season.

All those in Florida take care and IF this one stays as strong as it is I suggest getting out of FLorida this time around.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Man, you guys down there have already taken it on the nose! I've been reading that the xperts are predicting a prolonged (years) increase in severe hurricanes.

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Charley hit us dead on with 105 mph winds, so I got the heck out of Dodge when Frances came. I spent 4 days at a motel in Jacksonville and eventually she hit there and left us without power. Then I had to repeat the 8 hr drive on I95 and now have no strength left to run from Ivan. Plus they are evacuating my neighborhood as Lake Harney (part of the St Johns River) is flooding. Enough already! The damage from Charley was just a bit less than the $3,080 deductable. If Ivan does further damage, it will be another $3,080 deductable. Are we having fun yet? It is almost time for the mid-term progress reports and my kids have missed more school than not!

At least power outages are not so annoying when you are a homesteader as you are already living the simple life anyway. The geese like having us bathe in their pond with them and hurricane lamps are so romantic. There's always a bright side!

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

If it is getting old for you guys imagine how it is for us :( My friends and family on the east coast got Frances. My friends on the west got Charley. We got Charley as a Cat 1 and Frances as a sloooowww Cat 2. We haven't recovered from Frances and there is still no power or gas to a lot of places in south Florida and we must prepare again for an even stronger hurricane. We're leaving this time if Ivan decides to stay on track with the same strength. Semester just started where I work and we've had one week in and one week out. Don't know what next week will be. :no: Unblubeeblubble

6. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Dunno if I can do this again...... :no: :no: :no:

7. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

Charley missed me.. I am still totally the damage from Frances and have to
    restock my supplies this weekend and prepare for Ivan.. this one could be the
    real nasty one..

so far I lost everything in my fridge and freezer, and have to replace both, along with a lot of other smaller appliances from electrical surges. everything that wasnt on a surge supressor looks dead.. did save the central air system.. Had the roof patched for now.. dont have time to do completely before Ivan arrives. Lost the garden too so no canning this year..

I did four days with no power, water or phone and I learned something I pretty much knew already... I dont want to live off the grid.. its just not for me.

I hope everyone else is safe and recovering..

Donovan

8. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

10. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We're kind of on hold in north central Alabama because they're thinking now the bad weather will miss us again UNLESS Ivan turns a little further to the west and then it would likely go right up the middle of Alabama like Opal did...we usually just get the hard rains, winds, and sometimes tornadoes spawned from those things...