Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house is the basic rectangular ranch house, shed roofed porch on front, gable roofed carport on back. It sits on the top of a limestone ridge south of Dallas/ Ft. Worth metromess. The porch and carport posts are native cedar posts stripped of the bark and weathered grey.

Currently it is a yellowish color, red doors and shutters, and a kind of turqurise on the trim areas. I had been thinking of just painting it white, with black doors and shutters. Son and his gf were up this weekend and we went in a redone restaurant and the walls were tan with black trim, very striking. She suggested I use those colors on my house.

Ideas on tan house, black doors and shutters, and white trim? I get lots of sun and don't want a dark color on the house, ANY color will fade quickly. I also admit to being colorblind.

The landscaping is mostly pricly pear, LIVE oak, and dry country plants like kidney wood, texas sage, etc. Drive way is limestone cause the grass wore out where the tires travel. Lots of limestone dust in the summer time.

Ed

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
whiterock said:
My house is the basic rectangular ranch house, shed roofed porch on front, gable roofed carport on back. It sits on the top of a limestone ridge south of Dallas/ Ft. Worth metromess. The porch and carport posts are native cedar posts stripped of the bark and weathered grey.

Currently it is a yellowish color, red doors and shutters, and a kind of turqurise on the trim areas. I had been thinking of just painting it white, with black doors and shutters. Son and his gf were up this weekend and we went in a redone restaurant and the walls were tan with black trim, very striking. She suggested I use those colors on my house.

Ideas on tan house, black doors and shutters, and white trim? I get lots of sun and don't want a dark color on the house, ANY color will fade quickly. I also admit to being colorblind.

The landscaping is mostly pricly pear, LIVE oak, and dry country plants like kidney wood, texas sage, etc. Drive way is limestone cause the grass wore out where the tires travel. Lots of limestone dust in the summer time.

Ed
Call me a boring old traditionalist, but I like white farmhouses. The point, however, is that it is YOUR house so you should paint it whatever color you want! Even sky-blue pink if you want to.

donsgal

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Good ole white with dark shutters always looks tidy!

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
In 2004, on the 5th gallon of "custom mixes", I found my exterior formula/color; I call it Figfairy Green. I never thought I'd like green on a house but this is magical--it changes feelings with the light. (Only in truly full sunlight would you say it was just green--at dusk, night (city lights), when it rains--you get the picture--it changes--to shades of muted green grays or is that battleship gray? On some special mornings it glows a yellow green.)

I love this color! And it's earned the local "snobbish" historical society's "seal" of approval. (When the "membership" casually request my formula, I look them in the eye and say it's based on a Behr formula. Well, it is! I just had it mixed and tweaked in Glidden (cheaper) and voila!)

Don't have a picture to share and not sure any would capture the "real thing" anyway. The 1st floor of my Sears style 1920 box and rear addition, is stucco painted with my "won't spring for the big bucks" stuff; 2nd floor is covered in fading/graying/weathering cedar shakes. Roof is a light warm brown--can't recall CertainTeed color--and 33 of 37 windows (ACK!) are covered in a 1980s Montgomery Ward's Standard Ivory formula mixed up in "my" brand. Gutters (pretty much) match eaves and are based on a Duron standard called Chestnut Brown--again duped in Glidden. Back door (only 1 painted so far) is a warm eggplant I found in the bargain bin at HD (quart); should I decide to embrace it, it can be matched. (I 1st started hoping for "such" a system in 1981; some dreams really do come true, don't they?)

Here in Maryland, we do have 4 seasons--really! My house begins fading into the "jungle" in mid spring and emerges in late fall when the front yard Norway Maple turns yellow and the Red Maple goes crimson. We don't get a lot of snow but Figfairy Green is a stunner against a white dusting and gets more charming by the "inch"; when the ground is bare, the leaves are long gone and the lawn is hibernating, my house says "I'm here! Notice me!" (Did I mention I LOVE THIS COLOR? I would actually replace a mid used roof to make my next house FigFairy Green. Long way of saying I think a carefully selected green could be spectacular anywhere!)

IMHO, roof hue/gutters are the key when choosing color schemes; you can't change that part of the equation easily and those "colors" will ultimately determine whether your "I WILL paint it white with red trim, darnit" works or it doesn't. If "what is cannot be changed" is warm tones, like mine, than greens, yellows, etc. are wonderful. If it's a "cool" color, best to stick with whites, pure blues, etc. Except that green can lend itself to either warm or cool tones depending on the mix: perfection.

Take a chance. Buy a gallon of each "could bes" to see how they fit! Heck! It's only paint; pretend it's primer and use it up somewhere. Painting is life's only guaranteed do over: seize it!

katy *by no means a decorator but finally breaking out of her 50 year beige phase and can't believe she didn't see the possibilities before now.*

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
whiterock said:

Ed

I like the color combination of tan house, black doors and shutters, white trim that you described. Almost "hill country" colors, and you're "almost" hill country, right?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
i just did my house in gray with white trim. i think it's classy looking, timeless and goes with anything. your color combo sounds nice too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts