another hoof question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pinemead, Feb 28, 2005.

1. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

I did a search here for hoof walls separating. Several things were recommended to pour on, soak or spray on - iodine, thrush treatment, bleach, Coppertox. I don't know what to use. I trim regularly, but it's been muddy here. They can get in the stall whenever they want where it's dry. I have loose minerals free choice. I haven't smelled any rot, but the walls are separating badly. If I understood correctly I need to trim the wall as short as possible even though the hoof won't be flat. Is that right? Thanks for any help you can give.

2. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

We are experiencing the same thing! We trim regularly, but still have a few that are separating! Hope we get some good answers, not sure how far to trim. :confused:

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

trim as far as possible. I ha hubby lay pallets dwon all over the goat yard for them to walk on, and they use them too. seems to help.

4. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

We've got mud too. We get pallets and lay them around the pen. We also have several pads made of cinder block. In summer they like to sleep on the blocks. They will walk on the pallets before they'll get their feet wet.

5. pinemead

I might have to put down something for them to walk on. The mud is only in a small part of the pen, but it's at the entrance to the stall so they always have to walk through it.

6. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

We've been muddy,here, for weeks, but thank goodness the hooves seem to be holding up...
    Whenever I trim, I take down the walls as far as comfortable and then snip down the sole, too... I've been keeping their hooves in the exact same shape/angle as they had when they were kids (like the chizel-tip of a highlighter marker, you know?)... Is this correct?? I didn't know about leaving the soles alone... am I doing it all wrong?

-Jill

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I trim the soles after I've trimed the hoof walls down. As long as you're not getting into the pink or drawing blood I think you're fine.

I have one goat that gets horrible hooves this time of year (that's actually why he's a wether). The other one is just fine. Other goats I've had were also just fine. I think some individuals are just more prone to hoof splitting than others. Just trim up as far as you can and don't worry about getting the hoof flat - you can even that out over time as the soft spots grow out. I use koppertox if it looks like any areas are getting suspicious.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Trim to get the right shape, and then for the separated parts, just trim whatever isn't firmly attached to the meat of the hoof. I hope that's clear. Sometimes you'll go halfway up the side of the hoof to get to where it's still attached. Trim it up, then hit it with Koppertox. That's really all you can do until the mud dries up, and I haven't had them limp or anything from the missing hoof wall. They seem quite OK with it. That and put a bunch of cinderblocks in the yard for them to step on so they can avoid the mud if possible. Cinderblocks will also help to keep the feet trimmed.

9. pinemead

Thanks! I really like the cinder block idea. I plan to build a platform with roof shingles on it for them to play on when the weather gets better, but I can put cinder blocks down now in the mud. I'm glad to hear about trimming the wall as far as possible. I was worried about that.