Another hay baling question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mamahen, Aug 6, 2006.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, we have the baler & it works after some minor adjustments. The original problem was springs were off of one set of "feeders". It works pretty good!

Now the sickle bar broke. It's probably 40 years old or so, sat in the field for quite a few years before we started using it.

We have a brush hog. Can we use it to cut the hay? I did read the article about modifying the mower by removing a side. But can you cut it without taking a side off? I know the hay would be "chopped", but the goats still love it!

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

The brush hog will tear it up so much you won't have much to bale. I brush hog alot and never have baled, just watched it alot. There are better experts on this forum than me, but thats my 2 cents.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

The bush hog will work fine if you can remove a side. That way it throws the hay out before it chops it fine. Without removing the side the hay will be chopped so fine that it will make it difficult to rake and bale.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We've tried an unmodified Bushhog and while it works I'd have to qualify that. We did lose some (30%?) that the baler simply could not pick up, and you'd want a baler like mine which has a super sweep, or equiv. A super sweep uses narrow stripper bands and extra teeth, so there's probably 3 or 4 teeth for every one on a standard sweep. One of these days I'm going to come across a Bushhog that I can modify and try that again, it did show promise.

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Our brushhog doesn't chop stuff fine, even with all the sides intact.
    The problem we have making hay with it is that it's hard to rake.
    An awful lot tall stuff gets "pushed over" and then when you go back to rake
    that tall stuff gets tangled in there. It makes a big mess.