another fleece washing question

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by MaKettle, Jan 3, 2007.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Ok, you put the fleece in the sink or washer with very hot water to remove the lanolin. What happens when the lanolin hits the cold water in the septic? And if I tote the water outside to dump, will I get a pile of grease? Will the lanolin congeal on the surface if the wash water is dumped into a tub?

2. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

This might depend how much lanolin is on your fleeces ... I've never noticed the rinse water being greasy, even on the 'greasier' fleeces I've done - no more than the rinse water from pasta boiled with oil, if you know what I mean.

I think if you washed your fleeces in the bathtub you might notice a 'scum ring' around the tub when you were done - but it'll be lanolin, soap from washing, and dirt. :)

3. MTDeb

MTDeb Well-Known Member

I use Dawn dish washing detergent so I can only speak for that, but I think Dawn breaks up the grease, it doesn't just separate it. But, that said, my DH still won't let me put the water down the drain into the septic.

You will definitely have a dirt ring and with really dirty fleeces you'll even end up with mud on the bottom of the tub.

In the summer I use those old wash tubs. They're on a stand and have a drain in the bottom of the tub so the water can drain from the bottom. I just do the first wash or two in the tubs and then for the rinses I put it in the washing machine, after it's fairly clean. It's amazing how much dirt can be in some fleece.

Hope that helps!

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a dog grooming shop which drains "gray water" to water our trees behind the garage. I think that would work well for washing fleece, but I'm not sure the water is hot enough and it only has a ten gallon hot water tank! :)