Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While sorting through mother's stash after she died, one of my sisters found a basket with blocks and a lot of fabric. The blocks were leftover from a quilt mom had pieced back in the '80's.

I brought them home with me and made this throw. It is long stitch quilted using black pearl cotton thread.

I'm planning on giving this to my oldest sister and her husband for their 50th wedding anniversary in December.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Beautiful piecing on the border & corners - could we see some quilting detail? Pearl cotton is a fine choice, did you quilt it in a frame? A throw is such a nice size too.​

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
Beautiful. You sister will be very pleased. A gift from her mom and her sister.

Reactions: my3boys

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are close-up photos of the blocks. I marked a design on the blocks and quilted it, I did stitch in the ditch for a few blocks.

It is all hand quilted except for the pineapple block. Mother foundation pieced that block and used muslin for her foundation. I stitched in the ditch around the block and got hand cramps. I quilted that block on my sewing machine.

Here they are.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to admit, this was not my favorite project. Only the vision of my sister's reaction kept me going. I have never liked orange/rust and my mom loved it. Adding black gave appeal to the quilt. My mom would definitely not have added that. I'm glad, though, I have someone to give it to. I wouldn't want to keep it.

This sister has the old quilt that mom pieced. I think she will be very surprised to receive this top. I've had these blocks since 2007.

Here are the last 2 blocks and a picture of the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to say, yes I quilted it in a frame. I have done some projects in a hoop, but it feels so awkward. My father made the stands approximately 37 years ago, before the birth of son #1.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Your thoughtful work is inspiring - really a wonderful way to enhance each square that feels solid and loving. ( I see the '80s color theme now, but as a whole it looks complete, no odd blast from the past feel.) Family pieces can be challenging, anyone would be delighted with this one.

Thanks so much for the 'splain, I've never done a framed quilt, just table work or machine. Stitch in the ditch and long stitch is a nice combination - the back is a masterwork of its own, again that border is just a knockout.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Beautiful. That's it! I am getting back to my quilting ! s

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Those colors look like the 80’s, and the blocks appear to be well done. This is a thoughtful gift, I’m sure your sister and her husband will be delighted.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Fabulous! And great work on the quilting.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
To me, this is a big part of quilting - the love and thought and back story that goes into it and this one is definitely enhanced by the blocks coming from your mom, and the quilt being given to your sister. I love it when there are generational/familial stories involved in quilts. Absolutely perfect. It looks fantastic, you did a great job. You are a gem. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts