Another Feed Question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by SuperDog, Oct 10, 2006.

1. SuperDog

SuperDog Well-Known Member

Another "pig owner to be" question... I have a pond that is getting over run with small fish from all the ducks and geese bringing them in on their feet. Im looking at getting some pigs in spring, and was thinking.... Fish are a good source of protein... would a diet of fish and corn along with some trace minerals be good enough for pigs? And if so... would the fish need to be ground before feeding so the pigs don't choke on the bones? Also would I need to take them off of fish for a bit before butchering to avoid off flavored meat? Should the fish be cooked, or fed raw? Thanks for any and all feedback!

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I would worry about the bones, also I wouldn't feed anything raw. (I realize they eat raw chickens if they can catch them)

I'm picky about my pig food and wouldn't feed them anything I wouldn't eat myself. :)

3. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

YMMV but I fed pigs raw fish once with no problems. I had run low on grain and found a bunch of smelt in the freezer so I thawed them out and fed them to the pigs. They apparently were gourmet pigs because they absolutely loved them. I never saw such a look of ecstasy on a pig. I only wish I had some white wine to offer them with it. :)

BTW – The smelt were headless and gutted but still had the bones intact. Smelt bones are soft and can be eaten…something like a sardine.