Another eBay photo question....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FiddleKat, Nov 28, 2006.

1. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

I posted a thread about taking photos for items for eBay.
    Everyone gave me great advice, and I wanted to THANK YOU!

My item sold. YIPPIE! Not for the $30 I usually sell my handbags for, but for $12.50. At least Im not out any real money. I actually made a little profit.

I just finished another handbag, which I designed and is also completely quilted.
    I took your suggestions in photographing it, and it came out awesome! I made a handbag out of a pretty yellow fabric with pink flowers and a pink flowered fabric trim. I took some outside, and they came out great. Then I took some inside against a black satin background and it looks really good! I am getting ready to list it on eBay.

My next question is this....photographing very small objects.
    I have a pair of beaded earrings that I made that I would like to list. The problem is now if I get up close it looks blurred.
    Any suggestions! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

2. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

For years I sold on E Bay taking all my pix with the cheapest camera you could find. For very small items, like jewelry, having the camera STEADY, is the main goal, && since the cheap camera would not zoom in on anything, I took the shots with a pair of eyeglasses/magnifying glass, between the item & the camera, adjusting for clearness,, to get a close up! Works great once you get the hang of it!

3. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Sometimes staying back from the object, and zooming in on it works better for me with my camera. If I phyically get close, they're blurry, but if I back off like 4-5 feet, and zoom, it's clearer. Don't know what camera you're using, but it's worth a try!

4. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

You know what works? If you have an empty gallon milk jug, slice off the bottom, put the item on whatever cloth background you choose, and then put the gallon milk jug over it... then point your camera down the spout of the bottle and take your picture.

Sounds goofy, but works GREAT!

:)

5. FiddleKat

WOW!! What great ideas!!
    The milk jug idea does sound goofy, but worth a try as it sounds like it also works!

We bought a fairly nice digital camera over a year ago, and so glad we did!! I was buying those disposable cameras and after doing that so many times I realized what I had spent could have got me a nice digital.
    So I ended up buying a Polaroid PDC 3070 digital camera with 3X digital zoom, web cam and video clips. I just figured out how to use the video clip.
    Now that I think about it, I probably took the pic WAY TOO CLOSE! I am going to try to back up, and zoom (considering it has it) and also try the eyeglass and milk jug suggestion too!
    THANKS!

6. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Depending on the shape of the earrings, you could also scan them. That's what I do when I need a picture of a small item and want to show the detail.

7. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

8. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Look at your camera manual and see if it has a "close-up" or "macro" setting. That setting lets you focus with the camera very close to the object.

Often this sort of feature only works in the middle part of the zoom range and there will be some kind of indicator to tell you when the feature is active. If your camera does have a macro or close-up feature (and many do) it will tell you all of the ins and outs of it in the manual.

Actually, your model has no macro setting and can't focus any closer than 3.3 ft.

Once it's in focus, you should shoot your best and then crop the final image to size. You have many more pixels than you need for a good e-bay photo, and can afford to crop it to size.

Lynda

9. FiddleKat

10. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad the scanned photos worked out for you! You might want to get a few felt squares to use as a background. I use white, gray, or black. Sometimes too much texture on your background fabric can be distracting.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

if you set tiny objects on a flatbed scanner with a black paper sheet behind it, you get amazing detail...

try it if you have a scanner.

12. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Fiddlekat, I got an adapter with several close up lens from http://www.bugeyedigital.com/ If you are going to sell alot of small items you might think about getting a close up lens for that stuff. If bug eye doesn't have anything listed for your camera, send them an email and they'll check further. I got fast service from this outfit and am very happy with my adapter and lens. good luck

Also ebay hs an advanced picture service where that you can crop and close up your photos. Have you tried that yet?

13. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

Fiddlecat- Although you posted wanting advice on your photos, I hope you won't mind a little constructive criticism on you earrings.

1) It is my opinion that you need to get a closer match on the beads if you are selling these earrings as a pair. You may be going for an ecclectic look here, but I think that most people just wouldn't get that concept. By having the beads mismatched, it's coming off as looking a bit unprofessional.

2) You didn't state the metal content of the hooks and so I am assuming they are just gold toned metal, which turns most folk's ear holes green. I would recommend that you spend a little more and go with sterling silver hooks and findings. They really aren't that much, are tolerated by almost everyone and will give your handcrafted earrings a more professional look. If, in fact, the hooks are 14 K gold, you should mention that in your listing.

3) Finally, and this is just my personal opinion, blue goes so much better with silver than with gold. Those particular earrrings would look sharper with silver findings. There are those who might disagree with me here, but gold jewelery is just rather dated. Silver is more keeping with the current styles.

Someone suggested in another post that you change the spelling of SHABBIE to SHABBY in an effort receive more hits. I strongly suggest that you take their advive. I frequently use SHABBY CHIC as a search criteria on ebay and would always miss your auctions due your offbeat spelling.

14. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I just bid on them...I think my wife would like these for Christmas.
    clove