Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Napa is about 200 miles south. So not felt here at all.

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
I was thinking of him a few days ago, don't remember the last time he posted

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
been better than 4 months since he posted anything

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I thought he was near modesto or another "m" town in that vicinity..
He lives within hollaring distance on the next ridge from me. Nearish to the Oregon border.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
It's quite possible that he's back visiting family in Michigan . . .

I seem to recall that he makes a trip back each summer.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Last time I sent an e-mail, I didn't get a reply, nor one to the Christmas card I sent. I wish he'd come back and start posting again...I miss hearing about the WWD and his hilltop adventures. We miss our favorite Mensa Marine!!!!!!

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Last time I heard from him, he was very busy with life up on the hill in very North California. I hope he's okay.

Maybe I can send him an email.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Well I am located over 200 miles North of the Napa Valley above Arcata, California near Humboldt Bay, which is 90 miles South of the Oregon Border.

I did not feel the Earthquake, and wondered why my phone was ringing before 4 am on Sunday. It was a call from the Governor's Office of Emergency Services asking if I could turn on my ham radios to assist in passing messages out of the Earthquake affected area. Luckily the damages were not as wide spread in that heavily populated area North of the Bay Area as they could have been. The Bay Area TV Stations have been talking non-stop about the Earthquake, which was the largest in the Bay Area since Loma Prieta in 1989 during the World Series. They are constantly advocating having an emergency bag/ supplies ready for just in case the next Earthquake is the 'Big One'..

We did have a 6.5 Earthquake here in March, and it did not even make the national news - it was about 20 seconds of sideways motion, and nothing fell over inside the house then. Starting before then I have passed along several hand held battery operated scanner radios to the neighbors, and a few of my doctors that have now started prepping and they now have their own CCW weapons.

I have been busy making more trips than usual to Detroit, gardening and canning produce, spending time with my lady friend as she has her own 100+ acres in the Southern end of the County. That plus trying to keep a bear from wrecking more of my apple trees. The other night I let loose with a couple of ceremonial blank .30-06 cartridges, and that seemed to let the bear know he is not welcome here. That was after I checked with the Game Warden Lieutenant as to my legal options, after the bear took out my golden delicious 20+ feet tall apple tree on the other side of the driveway. It is now laying sideways snapped off at the base, after the bear climbed up and then rode it to the ground to get at the unripe fruit. The world's dumbest deer have not been around much, since the bear has been defecating in my yard as close as within 20 feet of the house.

In fact a week from today, I will be back in Detroit with the family again for a while. At least I can fly with my firearm/ ammo declared and secured in my checked luggage - becasue I am not going to Detroit unarmed if I can help it.

Here in a few minutes I will be leaving to go 300 miles South to the San Francisco VA Medical Center (the hospital at Ft. Miley), so I have my traveling earthquake bag ready to go minus the CCW pistol and ammo since they are prohibited at the VA Hospital. So I guess I had better practice my "hands up/ don't shoot" routine. But then again the LEO's don't seem to bother this 6'4" tall Marine Corps Vet that does not threaten anyone/ or is not trying to rob a store, and they don't view my cane as a deadly weapon (if only they knew...).

Well it is now time for me to drive in the fog down the hill to town in order to ride the 3 different VA shuttle buses for 7 hours/ 300 miles, in order to make my appointment with my Neurologist in San Francisco at the VA Hospital.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Hey RF, so good to hear from you! Sounds like you've been busy with real life, lol, but it sounds like you're doing great. I thought the quake was too far south for you, glad to hear that it was. Take care, we miss you! :)

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
good to hear all is well and glad ya living life large !!!

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
missed hearing from you man

1 - 20 of 24 Posts