Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten the bug, and leapt off the deep end.

I am finding that I'm spending 10x as long carding with my hand cards, drafting and organizing than I am spinning.

DH (he's a saint) noticed. I told him about drum carders, and that they were spendy. He said to look around and see what was available. I need y'all to tell me what's appropriate.

I have mostly fine wool...

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I am also in the market for a drum carder. I want some versatility and to be able to make art batts if I want to.

Here is a fairly recent thread about drum carders:
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/country-homemaking/fiber-arts/520845-time-year-again-all.html

And here is a thread that is a little older:
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/co...91383-making-your-own-batts-drum-carders.html

This morning I found this one that is a more reasonable price.
http://brotherdrumcarder.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76

I don't know anything about the Brother drum carder. I like that it's made in America. I like that you can get different drums for it depending on what you want to do but maybe that is true for all drum carders. I don't know if you can do art batts with it though.

Debi pointed out that the Strauch is chain driven so that there is no slippage. I don't know how much slippage is a problem with other drum carders.

On one of the threads WIHH mentioned that she really likes the Louet.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I got a brother drum carder not long ago. Its the 1st & only one Ive ever had, it works just great. I love it. I think its about the cheapest on the market too. They make one for type, course, medium, & fine. Plus you can swap out the drum later. sSy you want to go from fine to course, you just buy a drum for course & install it.

The only thing I would do different is buy one with a finish. Ive got to put a finish on mine now & am not looking forward to it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
When choosing between course, medium and fine...what is best? I can imagine I would be doing a lot of wool and some alpaca. Would the medium be best?

PearlB, when I finished my Ashford Traveller I used a wipe on poly that was just easy peasy to work with. Love it! You can even use it over a Danish Oil provided you let the Danish Oil cure. The woodworker's forum I went to said at least two days to cure but I let it go for a couple weeks because it was so humid in the house. I was honestly stunned at how easy it was to do. I did two coats of the Dainish Oil stain and then went back with the poly. I did just one coat of poly and it came out pretty nice.

Lexie, I am sorry for that I've been hijacking your thread!!!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Thanks Kasota!!

I got a couple of cans of poly spray on. I have Danish Oil. I might give the D.O. & poly finish a try too, at least on the drum carder. I just wonder if the poly finish completely seals the wood & doesn't allow it to breathe, & if that can create problems down the road.
Your Minstrel looks fantastic!!

Lexie,

Im fond of wipe on wax finishes. Ashford has one that I find is hands down the easiest thing to use. Smells okay too.

Are you sure your Lady Bug is unfinished? I just looks at the Woolery, that wheel doesn't come with finished or unfinished option, or they don't carry the unfinished if it does.

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
In my opinion get a fine. You can always card courser wool with a fine but you can't really go the other way without harming the fine fibers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I finally bite the bullet and get a DC this is the one I am going to get
http://www.strauchfiber.com/dc_finest_manual.php (the single wide lol)
its $$$ but everything I have read on multiple sites says it is one of the best you can get and it will card from fine to coarse w/ out having to change drums or buy any other drums (another money pit if you do different kinds of fiber).
Check their site out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts