Another dog question....worms

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MicheleMomof4, Nov 15, 2004.

1. MicheleMomof4

MicheleMomof4 Well-Known Member

We adopted a small dog who is 3 months old less than 2 weeks ago. Last night he was making some gasping noises and acting strange. After a few minutes he stopped. But made some gurrgling (sp?) noises in his sleep. This morning I noticed a few small white worms in his bowel movement. Our vet is gone until Dec. and the soonest I can get him in at the Animal Hosptial is Friday. Is there anything I can give him at home? I hate to see him suffer (im assuming those gasping/wheezing noises are painful to him). And is there any hope for him?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Can you collect a stool sample to take to your vet lab? That's the best way to differentiate what parasites to treat if it's in the stool. At least information about that end of it would help to know. If the white worms look like they are flat and in segments, that could indicate tapeworm which usually requires a different medication to eradicate than other possible nematode-type parasitic worms. The pup may have something else going on because of the rasping sounds you mention. Keep him warm and cared for and to the vet as soon as possible. Doesn't your vet have a backup response for clients in case of emergencies?

3. MicheleMomof4

Moon, yes they recommeded the hosptial. But we have an account with the vet, the hosptial wants its payment upfront. My DH gets paid on Thursday, so thats the wait.
    The worms were small and not flat. They were definetly not in segments either. He also had 2 loose stools yesterday as well. He did shiver when we went out to potty this morning, its only about 59 here in Florida. I thought that was odd, maybe a cold?

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Michele, Does the pup look like it has an extended paunch belly? If you feel the abdomen gently, can you feel nodules or bumps that could be intestinal?
    That could be hookworms, especially if the pup looks peekish or anemic. The gums are pink, or whiteish anemic looking?
    Whipworms could be another possibility. Often not seen in the stool, but they are threadlike.
    Poor thing. hope all goes well, good luck.

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Do they look like little spaghetti noodles? If so, likely roundworms.

My cat had some, my dog has had them before. I put DE in the cats food for a long time. I'm not certain they're gone actually. I have not seen anymore symptoms (that being worms in vomit :no: , or poo). I have planned on getting his poo tested, but haven't done it.

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

he's having symptoms that don't sound like they are related to worms. he does need to be checked by a vet.

7. southerngurl

Yes, that's true. I don't know that worms other than hearworms will do that. Heartworms will cause them to cough after just a little bit of activity.
    I'm not terribly up on my worms though. ;)

Also, I wanted to say. If it is roundworms, kids can get them, and they are not good in people. If kids get some eggs on their hands, then put their hands in their mouth , then they can get them.
    (from http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_roundworms_in_humans.html)

8. MicheleMomof4

Yes he needs to be checked by a vet, and he will be. But he cant until the end of this week. I am just looking for a way to help him be comfortable until then.

SG ~ Yes that is what it looks like,short (maybe less than an inch in lenght) spahetti noodle looking worms. There was 2 or 3 of them. And he just had another loose bowl movement after a hard one last night, no worms. He did have a few spells of vomiting a few days ago, but that was right after we used a flea spray on him. And I just assumed he might have ingested some accidently. DH just said that last night he did threw up while I was out tending to the chickens. He didn't tell me until now.

His gums are nice and pink. Nothing on his belly, but one bump to his left side almost to the top of his front leg. He is very active, that hasnt changed at all. He eats and drinks normally. Still very playful and active. Other than that one incident he acts as if nothing is wrong.

9. southerngurl

Perhaps he had a worm in his throat or lungs? I know they will get in people's lungs.

10. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

When my litter of kittens were about 2 months old, they started going downhill, not eating, coughing & vomiting, gagging, uncontrolable bowel movements. 2 of the 3 kittens had these symptoms. After 2 days of this (and finally payday!), I bundled up all 3 & took them to the vet.

They had hookworms, whipworms & just for good measure I guess, he also gave us an antibiotic. None of the kittens were paunchy, or anemic, I kept checking them, (I'm a little obsessive with my pets, ask hubby! :D ), their gums & so forth. It took the sickest kitty over 2 weeks to get steady again. I had to force feed & water him. After the wormer, he slowly started eating again, 1 or 2 pieces of food a day.

Any way, they were all fine one Saturday, just coughing a little, & some loose movements, by Sunday, the bottom dropped out.

I hope your little pup is ok. I know the feeling of waiting for payday all to often!! :rolleyes:

11. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

He has round worm which almost every puppy has. Go to your pet store and get some over the counter pet wormer. You could also pick up some pet vitamins to help out. They will throw up round worms also. Don't worry its all normal he just probally has a bunch of them . Read the label direction on when to re worm, probally 2-3 weeks. That will bring you into Dec. when your normal vet is in. If you have a Tractor supply store you can even pick his 7 way shots and give them yourself. Email me if you have any more questions.~ Patty

12. MicheleMomof4

I do have a TS so I will be sending DH there this evening. Thank you everyone!

13. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Michelle, I strongly recommend taking the pup to the vet. It sounds like he has tapeworms (require Strongid; yellow liquid) as well as hook, whip or roundworms. These can pull a puppy down very quicky. Your vet will do the treatment, send home meds, and also SEND YOU A BILL! (Unless you've not paid in the past; ever vet I ever heard of would treat the animal and send a bill or let you come in to pay later.. even on "instalment"!) TAKE THE PUP to the VET.

14. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I am new to this board, but I'm a vet tech so I thought I would throw my two cents in for what it's worth.

To me, it sounds like your dog has tapeworms and roundworms, two extremely and most of the time definate parasites found in pups and mommas. They get tapes by injesting fleas, eating the feces of another animal who has tapes, or by eating rodents. The rounds come from momma in the womb/nursing or by eating the feces of another animal who has shed the eggs.

Tapes are normally flat and show up as adults in the feces. The larve look like rice grains around the rectum, when you see them.

Round worms will cause vomiting and a lot of the time the animal will vomit them up along with stomach fluids. Sometimes respiratory symptoms occur.

Normally whips, hooks, and rounds are long stringy spaghetti like adults, with different attributes that tell them apart. Rounds are somewhat shorter than hooks and so on...

If you want to treat at home, I would get an over the counter dewormer thats active ingrediant is pyrathanel payomate(sp*). Dose by weight as indicated.

As for the tapes, you're more than likely going to need something from your vet, because to my knowledge there is nothing OTC that covers tapes. Something like Drontal(specifically for tapes) or Drontal Plus, which you can get at your vet will get the tapes AND anything else, excpet coccidia- for that you need an antibiotic like Albon.

Heartworms will cause shortness of breath, coughing, vomiting, and ultimately heart failure if severe and not treated. Heart worms live inside the heart cavity and will not show up in any test until after 6 months of age, as 6 months is generally the "gestation" period for larve to adult. You have to have a blood test run to determine if heart worms are present, but if your dog is 8 months or younger and you don't have a severe mosquito population(heartworms are transmitted through skeeters)then I would not suspect them. A dog will never be able to cough up or pass a heartworm.

I also wouldn't worry about any of your human family contracting any of these parasites, unless they are prone to play in fecal matter or eat it. It is generally pretty easy to keep ourselves clear of that! :) Just keep the yard clean and you'll be ok. I think people experience more problems with pinworms and the like because of poor sanitary habits, like not washing your hands after a bathroom trip and then rubbing your eyes or sticking them in your mouth. Or you know, trips to third world countries and jungles!

All in all I think your dog will be ok until your vet returns. They are tough creatures. Just hang in there.

15. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

My dog made some noises that you might call "gasping noises". He sounded sort of like there was something hung in his throat and like he was gasping for breath. It was kind of coughing, but not really, more like trying to breath and making loud noises trying to suck in air. This happened a couple of times within about a week. He seemed fine immediately after making the noises but it was pretty scary when the noises were going on. They probably lasted less than a minute although it seemed a lot longer. Somebody mentioned kennel cough. I took him to the vet and the vet said he was fine. He said it was something like a "reverse booger" and nothing to worry about. He has done this a couple of times a month for about a year now. It seems to happen more after he gets in grass or in dust. I hope this is all that is going on with your puppy (other than the worms).

16. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

This is pretty common. My dog does it. I call it sneezing backwards. It's seen a lot in overweight dogs or those with allergies.
    No worries!

17. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Hi there, not a vet or vet tech, but I have been showing, raising and breeding dogs for over 20 years. I would say your pup have round worms and the vet tech was right go to the store and get the pyrathanal pryomate (sp) walmart has it for about 5.00. Administer according to weight.
    He probably has other things but they can wait until your vet get back.
    If he is coughing, reverse sneezing while he is doing it if you can grasp his nose often it helps to settle their breathing and makes it go away.
    He will probably be fine!!
    Alice in Virginia

18. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Been a while since I have had any litters. I totally forgot about coccida dugh. I have seen otc meds for tapes , I just cannot remember were. Hope all goes well ~ Patty

19. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Just out of curiosity, what kind of dogs do you breed/show? I am a dog freak and I guess I make it a hobby to learn what others have...

-Christina

20. Sandra Nelson

Sandra Nelson Well-Known Member

Gagging sound could be caused by the migration of the roundworms in the puppy's system. Very common in young pups infested with roundworms. The hookworms are coughed up and swallowed again on their way to a semipermanent home in the intestine. The wormer you are looking for is spelled "pyrantel pamoate". It is very safe. Worm, wait one week (no longer)and worm a second time to get the instar forms that were resistant to the first worming. Pyrantel will get roundworms like hookworms, whipworms, and pinworms. If you think the pup has tapeworms one of the best otc for tapes is "praziquantel" (also very safe).

If you take the pup to the vet or take in a stool sample, make sure he is screened for coccidia and giardia. These can cause similar weakness and respiratory problems and digestive problems in high enough levels. Standard wormers will not touch these two and your vet can give you specific treatment for them if they are present.

Hope this helps. :)