another doe in heat?/breeding question . . .

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GeorgiaberryM, Sep 30, 2005.

1. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

I'm going into the first breeding season with my goats, and I am sure that one doe was in heat last week - pink, swollen vulva, mucous - but she is still not big enough to breed. Hoping she grows fast before it is too late for this year.

Anyway, this morning I got this weird vibe from my big nubian doe, Cinnamon. She didn't show any sign on her vulva, but she was calling in a strange way and when I went in the pen she was rubbing her head and shoulders on me and circling me. Not her usual MO. So I put her in with Jacko, our young Saanan buck in his first breeding season.

She went to him and he tried to mount her a few times and they danced around. At that point I could see a mucous discharge from Cinnamon. But she isn't standing still for him. She isn't running away, they are shoulder to shoulder circling, her tail is up and wagging, but she isn't standing.

Is this some kind of goat foreplay - should I leave her in with him or try again tomorrow? Do you all like to actually see them breed to be sure the job is done or do you trust nature to take its course and assume the doe is bred if she doesn't come into heat again?

I was worried that he wouldn't be tall enough to breed with her - but it looks like they line up fine if she will be still! She hates anyone to touch her rump or stand behind her - she will squat to get away if you pet her backside or touch her tail, and if you move behind her she always moves away. Could this behavior affect her "relationships" with boy goats? Does anyone ever have to restrain a doe to get her bred?

BTW this is not her first time to be bred - she freshened last year with twins, according to the seller.

2. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like she is just now coming in, leave her in 24 hours and I bet you get a standing heat from her. If that buckling is like my buckling he'll figure it out pretty quick. When they are just comeing in they will run away and tease for awhile when they are fully in they will stand for him and he will breed her. Check for semen on vulva area later today and in the morning.

3. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

My doe is having the same signs. (mucus, slight redness) Does your doe's mucous look white?

4. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member