Another (different) Question on Herd Names

Discussion in 'Goats' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Sep 6, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I didn't want to steal tioga12's thread, so here is another one.

I don't understand herd names. You put the name of the farm first, then a bunch of letters, then the goats name, right?? Or wrong? Please explain to me what all the letters are, and what the normal "setup" is for the names.

Example: Something's Farms XYZQ Dairy Doe. What does that mean? Did I even get it right?

Someday, when I'm older, I'd like to have a herd of ADGA registered goats. I want to know the nameing system!

Anyone? Anyone?

2. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, plain and simple, here's the explanation.

One of my bucks - Fall Creek TAL Dexter Fall Creek is the farm name, TAL is the breeders "abbrevation" for the sire "Talisman" and Dexter is the bucks name.

Another - Chinook Winds DH Disco Inferno Chinook Winds = farm, DH = Dragon Heart the sire, Disco Inferno = the buck himself.

Some farms like to have that there so you know who the sire is right away, not everyone does that.

3. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

The herdname comes first and reflects the person that owned the doe when she concieved. You don't HAVE to have a herdname registered with ADGA. If you don't, they will put "The" in front on the name like "The Crow Wing Susu".

Once you have the herd name, it goes on every kid that you breed and no-one else can use it. You do have to use it- your herd name goes on it or you don't register it.

The "middle" name usually but not always reflects the sire. It's not a rule, just a convention that a lot of people follow. It lets you advertise and keep track of the goat's sire. You can use the sire's initials, his first name, or a shortened version of his first name.

The "first" name or the call name- the last one in the string- often reflects a certain dam line within a breeder's stock. A breeder might have a line of does who all descend from one doe and all have names that start with "K". Or one doe's descendants will have a theme. One breeder I know has a star line, a rock band line, and an olympic line.

So, besides the herdname, there are no absolutes. It's just conventions that a lot of breeders use.

4. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

Here's one:
    UnRuli P. Shame on the Moon

* "UnRuli" is our herd name.

* "P" is the abbreviation we chose for this doe's sire (Saada Ponderosa Paul).

* "Shame on the Moon" is the name of the doe. Her dam's name is Lonesome-Doe MoonPie so her daughters all have "Moon" names

another one:
    UnRuli LDR Tales of Lucy Blue

* "UnRuli" is our herd name

* "LDR" is the abbreviation we chose for this doe's sire (Lonesome-Doe Ramses)

* "Tales of Lucy Blue" is the doe's name. Her dam is listed above (UnRuli P. Shame on the Moon) and as "Shame on the Moon" is the title of a song by Bob Segar we've decided that all of "Shame's" offspring will be named song titles of songs by Bob Segar ("Lucy" has a full sister named UnRuli LDR Hummin' Bird......"Hummin' Bird" is another song title by Bob Segar).

This is just the way we have decided to name our does to help keep track of them.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, thats right. If you look at the papers of a lot of my homebred does, they have an LB between the Ozark Jewels and their name.
    Example: Ozark Jewels LB Rose's Delight.
    Ozark Jewels is my herd name, LB stands for her sire(Little Buddy), and Rose's Delight is her name. Others don't have anything between the herd name and the goats name. It just depends on what the breeder decides to do. I have many that are simple, such as Ozark Jewels Kenya.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Gosh, I know a lot of folks who use the tattoo letter of the year when making up the names, but I never do. I simply use my herd name Patriot, and then whatever strikes my whim. Usually after a few days of living with a goat, they pretty much name themselves. Hence... Patriot Gotcha Greta.

Ruth

7. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Thanks alot. This has been really helpful!!! :)