Another deworming question

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by farmergirl, Oct 17, 2006.

1. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Since I've had such a miserable year with the sheep due to heavy parasite load on our pasture, I have now penned them all up in what will eventually be the spring garden (1/5 acre plot). I have a total of 12 ewes, most are PG, and 1 large ram. I'm wondering if I could feed them a daily dewormer pellet, like the Strongid C we feed to the horses. They are very flighty Barabados so handling them closely for oral drenching/ paste deworming is pretty stressful for them, though I do have that whole process down to an art now ;) If I could feed them a daily dewormer that combats strongyles, which seems to be our biggest problem, that would simplify things. I would still deworm them with a paste or drench periodically, like we do for the horses. I also understand that we would need to observe a withdrawal period before slaughter.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I think giving the that type wormer would only serve to make the worms more resistant. If they are getting low doses all the time any worms not killed would produce offspring that COULDNT be killed by that drug. Its better to do them individually and ONLY worm the ones that really need it. You may have to devise a working chute to contain them but I think that would be better in the long run. By putting it in the feed youd never be sure if they were all getting an effective dose even you feed them all seperately. Ive tried doing my Ram that way and he often just refuses to eat it.

3. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Bearfoot,
    I do have a working chute. There horses are always parasite free when we run fecals and they've been eating the Strongid C for years. I know with the sheep the parasites are more of a problem, but was thinking that if they are on the daily dewormer that might eventually help kill off all of the parasites in the field because we wouldn't be allowing any to grow beyond one day. At this point, after losing sheep left and right, in spite of deworming, rotating dewormers, etc., I'm looking for any answer...