Another Cow Pea/Crowder/Purple Hull Questions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dheat, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dheat

dheat Well-Known Member

I'm letting my cow peas stay on the vine until the hulls are dry. Then I pick those once a week. When shelled, the peas appear to be dried. Is that how you do it?

Also, there are some white dried pods on the vines. I assume those have died when they were green (i.e., before turning purple) and dried. Are those safe/any good to eat? I haven't tried them yet.

Thank you,

Doug

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

You can save the really dried out ones for seed or soak over night in water before you cook them with the others. They are fine no matter what you do! Enjoy.

mtm, who can't wait for her crowders to be ready to eat.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Your plants will bear much better if you pick earlier. Go thru and pick everything off every two or three days. Snap the ones that don't have mature beans, shell the rest. Most folks eat the peas while they are moist and green, but after the hull has thinned down and is just barely starting to dry. The white hulled ones are ok to eat, but you might want to just finish drying them and save for seed.

Just cook the peas with the snaps, they are a Southern tradition, especially with Okra and hot sauce.

4. dheat

dheat Well-Known Member

Mid Tn Mama and Cyngbaeld,

thank you both for your replies.

Cyngbaeld,

you said, "Snap the ones that don't have mature beans, shell the rest." What do you mean by "snap" and "shell", what's the difference? (This is my second garden--it's still all pretty new to me :eek: .)

Thanks again

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

To snap, you break off the stem end and pull the string off, then break the bean into pieces about an inch to two inches long. To shell, you break off the stem end and pull the string off and slide your thumb along the pod to open it and shovel out the peas.