another construction question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by prairiecomforts, Sep 30, 2006.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

A while back I posted a thread about a question I had about building some sort of door for a livestock shelter. I have another question. just this week I neighbor started tearing down an old barn and he told me I coule come and take whatever I wanted for wood. I got two lloads of old, but still useable 2 by 6's and am wondering how to use them to build this door. They are in various lenths - 6 to 8 foot. Any ideas?

2. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Old tried and true Zbracing

lay out your 2xs the size you want the door
    screw one 2x across the bottom and one across the top then run one diagnal corner to corner.

3. prairiecomforts

Okay - I have a dumb question - can I just mount that kind of door to the frame with big hinges or am I going to have to do some sort of bracing?

4. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

built out of 2xs its going to be pretty heavy .
    Id have to know how solidly built the jam is
    to be honest you'd be better off with 1x material
    still three good heavy strap hinges should work bolted through not just screwed
    How big a door are we talking about? that will be the deciding factor

5. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

And she took the digital camera!!

I would LOVE to take some pics of my interior doors. I build every door in my house with 2x6's brace the top, then the bottom, then the middle...Then join the middle and the bottom with a z brace.

Hinge it anyway you want to, but use heavy hinges...my doors weigh about 140lbs each...

If this thread stays alive till next week, I'll post ya some pics...

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I would use 1x6 car siding or similar toungue & grouve for the outside. I would use the 2x6 you got for z-bracing to hold it together as others say. If this door is in direct contact with livestock, bigger stock, I would put carsiding or similar on the inside as well. If going 3 layers deep like this, I would use 1x6 wood for the z-bracing tho, or the doors get pretty thick & heavy.

So depending on your door size, the hinges need to be strong. Big ol strap hinges, or T hinges.

--->Paul

7. prairiecomforts

The framed out opening is 10 high by 8.5 in width. I am going to have my goats in this shelter this winter and basically need a way to close them in if it gets really bad out. I do also have some scrapes of plywood from another project but I am trying to do things as cheap as I can.