Another chore done

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tracy in Idaho, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Got one of my last pre-kidding chores done today, and that was to draw blood for CAE testing. It will go out tomorrow, and we should have results Friday.

My friend came over to help me, and we had them done in no time at all. Since we didn't want to drive 35 miles for vacutainer needles, we just used plain old needles and syringes. Worked fine.

Oh, and one of my wonderful bucks pee'd on me right after we got done. That's gratitude for ya! He was nice enough to stand up on the fence for us so I just held him there while she drew blood over the fence. He hasn't been petted in ages (phew!) so he was more than happy to have attention, lol.

Tracy

2. Tracy in Idaho

In case someone is wanting to send in their own blood, this page from WSU tells you the hows and costs of doing it:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/caefaq.asp

You could also have it tested for whatever else you might want (CL, Johnes, Brucellosis, etc) at the same time.

Tracy

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Do you know if you can buy red tops from a direct source?

4. Tracy in Idaho

My vet sells them to me for 20 cents each. It's easier to just get them from him in the smaller amounts I need.

You can buy them here at lambriar Vet supply tho:

http://lambriarvetsupply.com/sbsite.php?&item=01103MON-3X100

$26 for a box of 100. They usually have several years before they expire. Not sure it really even matters if they are expired?

Tracy

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Will they accept the 3 ml size? That site said something about 5 ml to 10 ml size. How much blood do you usually pull and put in there? It also said if you send it overnight you don't have to put an ice bag in there, but do you?
    Thanks for that site.

6. Tracy in Idaho

I'm sure they sell the 5mL tubes too.

The amount we send varies -- I like to use a 6 cc syringe, but it certainly isn't always full. I have also used just the little 3cc syringes and that was all I sent.

Nope, no ice pack. It goes overnight standard.

Tracy