Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH bought (not enough) Hen of the Woods last night at an auction. That got me out into the woods in the rain today full of optimism. While I didn't find any hens, I found this pretty bunch of chickens or sulphur shelf.
I've never dealt with anything other than the rare morel so want to ask how to clean these. We've had a lot of rain so the only real dirt is from wet leaves sitting on some of them. Do I do a quick wash in salt water and brush/cut away what doesn't come off easily?
Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.
(Sorry the lighting is poor and the pics are sideways).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was hoping tinknal would chime in but I looked and see he's not posted since Jan!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found out that they don't clean well except for surface dirt. We did get a skillet full and with a little butter and homegrown garlic they were very, very good.

No one knows what happened to him.
I've not realized that someone is gone before until I have a question for him/her. :(

·
Registered
425 Posts
Clean the surface dirt and soak in salt water to get all the burrowing creatures out. I usually only harvest the ruffley edge.. It is my experience that the thicker older parts don't taste as good. It might be a regional thing or a climate thing but around here the taste in the center is really off.. When you cutting into them you will see a distinct line between the older flesh of the chicken and the fresh outer edge.. The old stuff wont hurt you maybe do you own taste test and let me know.. Here in the Pacific north west it gets bitter and just not good eating..

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice and links. I ended up using the outer third of most of them. That part was very tender and tasty. I'm going to start looking earlier next year.
I was just thrilled to find them. I never find anything!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts