Another butcher question. How do you wrap?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by homebirtha, May 10, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We're selling two whole kids for cabrito. How should I wrap the carcass for sale? A whole lot of butcher paper? A big plastic bag? What do you do?

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I use big ziplock freezer bags. I have never frozen whole little goats, but we did butcher a hefty Boer buckling recently and quartered him and he fit nicely in large 2 gallon sized ziplocks. Get the kind that have the good fasteners or closers, if you know what i mean, that way they won't come open accidentaly. Or double bag. Also, try to suck some of the air out with your mouth....yes, i do that. Also, you might want to label the bag with the date and contents before you put the cabrito in there.

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I don't think a whole kid will fit, even in a 2-gallon bag. That's what's got me stumped.

4. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I use a seal-a-meal or as we call it, the SuperSucker! It vacuum packs and you can get rolls of the stuff so you can cut it to any length you like.

5. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

6. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

We have food grade clear plastic bags that will fit a calf,however we order them by the case.An equally good method though is to simply purchase some clear plastic wrap,and carefully wrap the whole goat kid.If your client is going to roast the animal he will only be refrigerating it for a few days at most,and the plastic will hold in the moisture.