Another breeding question....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jessandcody, Jun 9, 2004.

1. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

Hi guys. I'm really confusing myself on the rabbit gestation, and I have two does that have been bred. This is my first time doing all this, and I guess what is throwing me off is that rabbits ovulate after they mate.

So my first doe was bred on May 6th and again on May7th. (We have new zealand/californian cross) My second doe was bred May 10th & May 11th.

What I really need to know is when to start counting days, what is their "due date", and when do I give hope? I realize that each rabbit will be slightly different. Also, do rabbits have a noticeable contractions and labor? In other words, is it obvious when they start labor?

This is the first mating/breeding for both the does and our buck. I am not sure if they are even pregnant ....sigh....

Please let me know your words of wisdom on the subject. I guess I need to re-breed soon if they aren't expecting. Sorry for being a nimwit on this subject, but the internet has some pretty conflicting views on raising rabbits.

Thanks for all the help
    - Confused Jess

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Rabbit gestation is from 28-35 days after breeding. Count from your first date breeding and put a nest box in on day 27. Most rabbits kindle on day 31. If after 35 days have passed since the last breeding then rebreed. How old are these rabbits? Most does will concieve by 4 1/2 months but bucks are not usually fertile till 6 months.

Find some one in your area that is an experienced breeder and see if they can teach you to palpate. You can check at 12 days after breeding for kits if you know what your doing but it does take practice.

3. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information Tracy. The rabbits are about 7 months old now. I did check our past due rabbit today. I felt all along her abdomen and between her hips and I did not feel anything out of the ordinary - so we figured that she didn't breed. Her stomach was smooth. Our second doe is due today and has an obviously larger stomach than she had a week ago. I didn't check her - didn't want to stress her out to much.

I found a lot of information online and in the archives so I'm relaxing a bit about this. I'm prepared for the first litters not being all that successful, but hoping for some healthy babies.