Another breeding/age/weight question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KimM, Sep 30, 2006.

1. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I read the other thread but still want to get opinions.
    I have 5 young Boer-cross does.
    Two were born in March and their weights as of August were 79.8 and 66.6 pounds.
    Three were born at the beginning of May and as of August their weights were
    67.8, 62.6 and 62 pounds. We're going to weigh them again this month to see where they're at.
    Those with experience, do you think these girls will be ready to breed, going by age and weight, by December? They're very healthy and well fed and I'll be present for the kiddings but my buck is literally twice their size.

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

they will be fine, when they come into heat in December they will be ready, and as long as your buck is not a compleat Jerk and minds his mannors he will be able to breed them easily with out hurting them

3. KimM

Thanks! He's very mannerly and I take him to the does on a lead. He's not allowed to be a jerk, or else....... :frypan:

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't see why not..... :)

5. TC

TC Well-Known Member

I say yes, it should be fine.

6. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

So they will only be 9 mths old...is that correct??

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like they will be plenty big enough...
    May kids?? Why, oh why, May kids? :p
    I will shoot myself if I have kids later than the first two weeks of April again this year. I hate April kids and anything born later.
    Too many buggies in this area for those little kids.
    Which is why I am carrying about 7 doelings over (April to June born).. ugh!
    Have you considered breeding them for September kids instead? The May babies that is, the March kids could be bred late this month for March/April kids.
    I'm finding these percentage Boers put on way too much weight too quickly. I have two early February twin doelings who are packing on the pounds and aren't bred yet (their suitor kinda went downhill right before I needed him). So they still aren't bred! I'm half tempted to breed them back to their sire just to get them bred... Maybe he will be up to it this month.

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

go ahead and breed to their sire, if he has good lines you will have better kids this time than last,

i would get them bred as soon as you can, if the does are in heat the buck will do his job

9. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

10. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Hehe, I prefer the kids born in the middle of the winter...which is why our first 19 or 20 are due before the end of February!
    March is acceptable and I have 25 or so to breed for March kids (this year is different than most others, norally I want just few in March).

Around here the browse is out at the earliest on March and April is better. I want those kids browsing alongside their dams at that stage.

Kim and I are only a half hour drive apart.... :p

11. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Hahaha....in March my kids browse alongside their dams using waterwings. Hmmm, maybe my new marketing approach could be that MY goats not only are good for meat, milk and hide, but also rescue swimming.

12. KimM

Guess I don't have enough experience know why not September kids other than that my May kids did very well and I 'think' the market would be better to sell May kids rather than September kids but I don't know that for sure. :shrug:
    If you need a buck, mine is certainly willing! Go to my website and give me a call if you think you'd be interested. :)

13. KimM

The March does will be 9 months, the May does will be 7 months.