Another Break in on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mysticokra, Nov 29, 2006.

1. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

We were the focus of some bum's early Christmas shopping on Thanksgiving Day. We had gone to visit the wife's 80 year old mother and when we returned home we found the glass broken out of the back door and the TV gone. They stole my bolt action 20 gauge, too. My grandfather gave me that gun 40 years ago. I can't believe anyone would even want a single shot like that, but I treasured it.

So, now the wife wants survelliance cameras to catch the jerks when they come back. (You know they will at some point.)

Can anyone recommend a system that records its data on either a dvr or into one of my spare PC's?

By the way, they were so stupid that they ignored the PC's which were worth much more than the TV

Thanks

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't help with your question but I wanted to express my sympathy about your break in and the loss of your treasured gun. I've been broken in to more than once and it isn't the value in $ of the things but the sentimental items and the feeling of violation. I hope you never go through this again.
    PQ

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

X10.com If I can install their systems anyone can. And you can have systems that you can't imagine were even available.

4. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind thought. I plan to use this as a barometer to see how attached I am to "my stuff." Sometimes I have a "Buddha moment" and just let the anger go away because it is only stuff and you can always find more.

At other times, I get angry about the laziness and arrogance of a thief and would prefer to do a little target practice in his direction.

We humans are interesting creatures.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I would chose the "Fat buddha" moment... which is where you catch, fry 'em up and eat 'em.

6. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

We use X10 at our house for the lights and such. We have also talked about their cameras and wiring our house for sound. We just haven't done it yet! So sorry for your troubles, it sure is a pain!