Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember the thread I started a few weeks ago that had photos of four bobcats that visited our front yard (mama and three kittens). See: Self-isolation at home isn't all bad. We get lots...

Well yesterday, Daddy bobcat came a' walk'n down our front yard driveway in the middle of the day. Seeing these neighbors in person is so much more rewarding than capturing their images on a trail cam. It helps to have large windows on three sides of our living room. (Sorry about the picture quality. The photos were taken through a window screen.)

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Dang that's a big bobcat. I wonder if there is some sort of cross-breeding going on? Or are you just feeding them well?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Dang that's a big bobcat. I wonder if there is some sort of cross-breeding going on? Or are you just feeding them well?
That's just a typical bobcat. They run from ten pound kittens right now to 30 to 40 pound adult males. Females will run in the high teens to low twenties. Most Year or two old males will be in the high twenties. There is a lot of color variation regionally. That one has got his length, but will fill out a little deeper, if he manages to eat enough of his kids.

Reactions: Cabin Fever

·
Premium Member
18,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Dept of Natural resources reports that there is crossbreeding of Canada lynx and these red bobcats. This was a big boy - and certainly hits or surpasses the top of the typical bobcat scale.

We haven't seen a rabbit here in ages (which is their most common food source) but we have also seen only one fawn this year on our place - and there are normally 5 or 6 on average.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts