Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to get my first hive but the area(in a small town) I live is sagebrush/desert(eastern Oregon). I don't notice much flowering plant life around but I don't usually watch for it either. There are quite a few yellow jackets around here too - every year I kill several starter hives around the eves of the house and garage.

Can I have a sucessful hive under these conditions???

·
Super Moderator
16,532 Posts
Are there any farmers within 3 miles of you that raise alfalfa? Neighbors with vegetable gardens?

Some desert areas support bees, others do not.

Why don't you do a google search for Oregon beekeepers associations? If there are any west of the mountains, they WOULD know what local plants are good nectar and pollen producers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Call your county Ag. center(look under County Goverment>) Tney'll be able to give you the local beekeeping assc. name and number. Talk to them. They'll be able to answer all your questions.

I had wanted bees for years and finally decided to call just to see what information they had. I hit the jack pot. They not only had names and numbers but told me about the local meetings.

Good luck Debbie

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. Ill check with the county. And yes there are alfalfa fields, corn field and Im sure some gardens or flower beds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts