Another Bear and the Bees question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Coloradosteader, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Coloradosteader

Coloradosteader Active Member

Hi all,
    I've been lurking for a bit and decided next season is the season I'm going to try my hand at beekeeping. (yeah!)
    The property I own where I would like to put my first hive is at 9500'. The area is heavily forested and there are 2 medows with tons of wildflowers etc. Now to the question at hand... I have definite black bear activity on these 40+ acres, scat and scratch marks etc. I have looked at a few posts on this forum regarding electric fence around the hives, but I don't think this is going to be adequate. Anyone weld up rebar cages or something similar? How aboout cages anchored between trees? Platforms? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    One more question... any advice for high altitude apiaries?

Kindest Regards,

Coloradosteader

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Try building a stockade out of 2" pipe welded together to make a pen 10' high it will need to be built on site though.

3. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

Well I have heard that electric fence works but if your convinced otherwise you might try putting them on a platform (like a pallet) and pulleying them up into a tree. You will need at least one anchor rope to keep it from twisting in the wind might need two?
    I'm concerned about the winters up that high you might be better off moveing them down the mountain for the winter. Alternatively you may need to insulate and feed them.

4. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

There is an article in the most recent Bee Culture magazine where they put the hives on a platform and fence the perimeter with electrified cattle panels.

5. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Electric fence will work. Bears do respect a good shock, and will leave the area. This might be better than a barrier fence, because the bear can fiddle around trying to figure out a way in/around/under/over. The shock will send them on their way post haste.

6. Coloradosteader

Coloradosteader Active Member

I think maybe a combo electric fence and platform. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

CS