Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, we signed up for a new high speed internet provider.

A few days after we had the service installed, I used Google to look at the weather forecast in northern Indiana for a possible camping trip.

Since then, every time I look up something on the internet, whether it is a bank, car dealer, or a store, the search results came back as "find a Dodge dealer near South Bend."

I've only been to South Bend once in my life, and am getting sick of seeing ads and search results for that part of the state.

I am guessing that I would have to delete the cookies, right? Will I lose all of my auto-log ins, and passwords too, if I delete the cookies?

For once, I'd love to type in "pizza deals" and not have it automatically give me all of the "pizza deals in Auburn, Indiana."

Thanks!!!!

·
Voice of Reason
52,235 Posts
Most likely your IP address was identified as being a South Bend location. That could be where your high speed Internet provider's home office is. Since that time Google has been keeping track of you so they can direct ads that they think might interest you, largely based in your searches. If you search for places to eat, expect ads and search results for places to eat in South Bend.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Yeah, although I don't see ads, sites that try to locate me sometimes put me in Colorado, Nashville, Oak Ridge, and North Georgia depending on their attempts to trace.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Yes Google uses you're IP address to locate where you are.
Many many times I see Local Ads on Youtube. Anywhere from Want ads for Ashly Furniture to in the last few weeks before the election even political ads Both Anti Governor Walker and Pro Governor Scott Walker. LOL

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can also manually specify your location in your Google search settings, in order to override their attempt to automatically determine your location. The link below contains instructions on how to do that, and also explains their methods of automatically determining your location, which includes both the IP address assigned by your ISP, and recent locations you've searched for.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/179386?p=ws_settings_location&hl=en&rd=1

·
Voice of Reason
52,235 Posts
You can also manually specify your location in your Google search settings, in order to override their attempt to automatically determine your location. The link below contains instructions on how to do that, and also explains their methods of automatically determining your location, which includes both the IP address assigned by your ISP, and recent locations you've searched for.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/179386?p=ws_settings_location&hl=en&rd=1
Yeah right! Like I'm going to make it easy for Google to keep track of me. LOL

·
Registered
587 Posts
Avast! free antivirus can be set to do this, also. It can be set to block all attempts to track you. I use it and AdBlocker Plus and Better Privacy along with Firefox.

·
Voice of Reason
52,235 Posts
I doubt that any ad blocker is capable of keeping Google from tracking your whereabouts and interests. That's particularly true of people who use Google for searching, which I happen to do.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I hate the ads too. I research something and then am forced to see the ads for it for weeks/months AFTER I have made my decision and bought the product. I am so over the ads by then. It is such a waste of time like the callbacks from car salesmen.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use DuckDuckGo for a search engine. It doesn't keep track of searches or where you are located. Along with Firefox, Abine "DoNotTrack" and Ad Blocker (all free) I dont' have those sort of problems any more. You haven't switched from IE to Mozilla FireFox yet? What, you live in a cave? Bwahahahahaha.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts