Another Banding Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by debra in nm, Jun 1, 2005.

1. debra in nm

debra in nm Member

I've got angoras and was blessed with 9 cute little bucklings this year and only 3 does. So, it's a "wether year" for me. I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but there is some opinion among our neighborhood goat folks that banding at a young age will contribute to urinary calculi, or "water belly"... the backing up of urine into the system by little calcium deposits, due to the urethra not forming properly on the young kid. Our angoras tend to become fiber wethers & pets and will live a long happy life.

Here is my idea on this: I think the urinary calculi would have more to do with a higher protein diet (alfalfa in our part of the country) than banding at an early age. Most of us know that wethers should never be fed grain or alfalfa alone. Does anyone have an opinion? Assuming I don't sell any, I cannot afford to keep these little guys intact and surgically castrate them at a year old, which is what has been suggested; I'd rather do it now. Any feedback appreciated! debra in nm

2. lizmont2000

lizmont2000 Active Member

Here is my idea on this: I think the urinary calculi would have more to do with a higher protein diet (alfalfa in our part of the country) than banding at an early age. Most of us know that wethers should never be fed grain or alfalfa alone. Does anyone have an opinion? Assuming I don't sell any, I cannot afford to keep these little guys intact and surgically castrate them at a year old, which is what has been suggested; I'd rather do it now. Any feedback appreciated! debra in nm[/QUOTE]

Hi Debra,
    It is the alfalfa that contributes to the urinary calculi---it is dietary based in animals just as it is in humans. My vet thinks weathers should get pasture and hay only!

Banding can have an effect on the urethra, which if done incorrectly or too early can lead to problems with urinating, but not problems from stones.

Can you wait until they are 3-4 months to band? Their urethra should be fully developed and they won't have started to have buck odor yet. IMO I would band over surgical castration any day!

Are you going to eat them or sell them for food?

Liz

3. debra in nm

debra in nm Member

Liz, there is not enough meat on an angora to consider eating it. They will be destined as pets or fiber wethers for the small spinners's flock. I really try and promote wethers because they tend to have nice spinnable fiber even as they age; have no worries with seasonal rut and testosterone, not a care in the world except for when their next feeding is. I wouldnt mind waiting to band till late summer, but I think their testicles are too large for the bander. Comments on this? Thanks for the input. debra in nm

4. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

We too have had an all-male year and banded our five boys last weekend at about 8 weeks of age. The biggest of the boys juuuuust barely fit into the elastrator (with lots of wiggling), so I really couldn't have waited any longer. And these are pygmies, so I suppose other breeds would be bigger still. Our vet is fine with us doing it at that age, but I can't say for certain that the boys won't have any future problems. I hope not - ours too are destined to be pets.