Another aspargus question...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, May 11, 2005.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I finally got some asparagus roots this spring and now must figure out where to plant them. I have seen it growing along the highway every once in a while so it must not be too picky. Am I correct in thinking this is something I DO NOT want to plant in the green house? Should it go in the cold frame outside of the green house where it will warm up quicker in the spring (by june 1) ? thanks in advance for advice! KC

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Outside is good. It grows along the irrigation ditches in colorado where I used to live. It needs a good cold season or a dry season to produce well. If you have a spot you can make a swale to catch runoff, that would be the place for it. It might get enough water that way without your needing to water it very much. Be sure to mulch it well.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Neat- thanks I now know just where to plant it!

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Sister, You can plant your roots in different layers in the ground. They actually will come up at different times! So all the asparagus dosen't hit you all at once. I had planted different colors on different levels and had (almost) all the same color come up each time. I planted one at about ten inches, one at seven, one at four. shadowwalker

5. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

And plant it in a place where it can be for y-e-a-r-s, they can produce a long time, so you really don't want to have to move them around alot. And the roots are pretty long.

They shoot up so quickly! One day there was nothing, the next day I have 4 inch shoots!!

Tricia