Another additional to the kindling threads...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by The Biss, Jan 9, 2007.

1. The Biss

The Biss Well-Known Member

Yesterday, J364 (aka Fluffy by my 6 year old daughter) kindled two kits with one being DOA. This was our first litter since we started with rabbits back towards Thanksgiving. Went out this morning to check the nestbox to find that Kit #1 had also expired during the night. :flame:

Fortunately my daughters took it well. They realize that this is part of life and that the kits are destined for the dinner pot anyway. Still, a major disappointment for our first litter.

How long should I give "Fluffy" to recoup before I rebreed her? :help:

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Sorry to hear about the litter!

Some people will rebreed right away if the doe still seems to be in good condition--not too thin. (They're actually pretty receptive the day or so after kindling b/c in the wild, they usually rebreed right after the birth.)

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

You can rebreed right away as long as she is in good condition .. I have been told by any number of 'experts' :p that being pregnant is not a drain on a does body ..

... its the nurseing that can pull her condition down ..

.. just so you will know .. 1 or 2 / 3 kits have a hard time keeping warm .. not enough bodies to generate enough heat to keep the nest warm .. even in the summertime :Bawling: 1 will not generate enough heat to live ..

.. if a doe only has 1 or 2 to even 3 - 4 (if its 'cold' weather) you will need to bring the nestbox inside and devise a way to keep the kit (s) warm .. I have used a heating pad on its lowest setting and setting the nest on it .. (my nests have wire bottoms so warmth floats up to babies) ...

.. then you will need to take the nest out 1 early every morning and 1 in 'late' afternoon to give the doe a chance to nurse ... keeping the nestbox in the house in a 'safe' area till the kit(s) is furred and big enough to make it .. a single kit might be in the house for 2+ weeks in the winter ....

#1 ! reason to have a 'extra' small moveable wire cage big enough for a nestbox + mom if necessary ..

.. thats why its good to breed 2+ does so if 1 happens to have only 1 to 3 to survive you have the chance of giveing the kit(s) to the other doe(s) [if her litter is small enough] and then rebreed the mom ..

:rolleyes: think I said that right ...

its cold here right now in the Carolinas .. if I had does with litters I would be bringing the nests in - at least at night .. even if there were 7 - 9 in the litter .. I worry too much :rolleyes: .... of course when theres a lot in the litter I don't apply any 'extra' heating .. I just set nestbox in tub and take out twice a day till they get good n furry ..... :)

Blessings

4. The Biss

The Biss Well-Known Member

Tammy, it has been dipping down lower recently. On my bicycle ride home from the office tonight, I notice a little bit of ice forming. Lots of good information... as usual! Thanks for the advice.

Off note: Do you know Lyman Franklin? I met him at the NC State Fair. He took two or three of the first place awards in rabbits. He also lives about 2 miles from me. These NZWs that I am breeding are from his rabbitry. I had the DICKENS of a time finding someone in Eastern NC that would sell them to me.

Also, we own about 30 acres out near Killian's Crossroads off Bud Rd. In the next few years me and the wife are planning on homesteading the property with rabbits of course, as well as goats and chickens.

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Bliss ,, No don't know him ,, one day I want to go to the NC fair :) ,, I try to go to the Shelby fair every year and have gone to the rabbit shows at Shelby several times ..

I miss the WNZ does I had , they were the sweetest natured rabbits of all I've had ,, very friendly and the does were great moms ,, had big litters too ..

I never had much luck with Californian does ,, the good moms were witches and the friendly does ended up being bad moms ;-( ...

.. I only have a trio of rabbits now .. lol .. they are mainly just for poo for the garden ;-) .. and 5 bantams for insect control .. lol ..

Blessings ..

6. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I tell my daughter "you can't count your chickens before they hatch and you can't count the bunnies before their eyes open." Usually by the time the eyes open, they should all live unless they get enterococcis. I've been losing more than usual lately, variety of reasons.

7. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

8. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

The symptoms are diarrhea, lack of appetite, listlessness. Then death. On atopsy they have white spotted liver or inflamed intestines. I have never had any of mine get this but I have heard of others losing most of their rabbits to an outbreak. Quantine any new rabbits for prevention.