ANNIE "OVERROFS" HER MOBILE HOME!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ozarkguy, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

While not for everyone, there IS something to be said for mobile homes. Like can you say NO MORTGAGE?

Thought I'd share some photos of a very frugal homesteading lady that fixed up her mobile home with a house roof. NOT a flat roof like original, but a real honest to gosh house roof!

Step by step pictures on how to stay dry!

Click here> Annie gets a new roof!

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Lots of folks do that here in Montana. I think it is to help with the snow loads that older mobile homes are not built to handle. I personally like the pitched roofs better than the old flat or slightly rounded ones.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

That roof will add years to the life of the MH. Many people here put a regular house type roof over the MH, many extending the roof to form a nice porch. much warmer in winter, much cooler in summer. Add a few hanging flower baskets and the place looks great

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

The MH companies in my area build them with a stick built looking roof. Some of the single wides even have the door and covered porch in the middle so from the front it doesnt look like a single wide. If its paid for and in good shape, theres no reason to be in a hurry to replace it.

5. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

I don't understand why some folks have a thing against mobile homes. I think there great!!
    DH and I have been looking off and on at mobiles and my FIL seems to be very uneasy about them. Says,'why do you want to live in a trailer?"
    I think people need to get over that "trailer" stigma. The newer mobiles are nothing like trailers especially the ones from the 50's.
    DH and I are in the process of buying a ten yr old double wide on a 1/2 acre of its own land.

6. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Fiddlekat, I agree totally. I've never lived in a mobile home--have always lived in small and/or older homes. But if I wasn't able to live in affordable houses like these, I would definitely consider a singlewide mobile home. I like the economy of space, and they're so unpretentious.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

The stigma against mobile homes isn't against how the unit looks as far as I am concerned, it is against the danger from tornadoes and such. Even with the roof strapping/anchors and foundations with them bolted down, they still sustain more damage in high winds/tornadoes than conventional stick built homes.

I also don't understand that since most are really are well built. Don't believe me, just ask anyone that has tried to tear one apart for remodeling.

8. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

They do that a lot here in Northern Michigan to.... for tornado and snow reasons.

Kaza

9. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Part of the "stigma" against mobile homes has a lot to do with finances- simple fact is, mobile homes tend to depreciate, like cars, rather than appreciate like most real estate and conventional homes, so they are not always a good investment. Because they are not good investments their presence can negatively affect property values, which sometimes makes them unpopular in areas where the majority of homes are not mobile homes.