Animals will do the darndest things!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tltater, Nov 7, 2004.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I do the same thing almost every time I go into a grocery. I ask where they want it to happen, but I suppose the bear couldn't talk.

3. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Maybe he was just pi$$ed off when he saw the prices.

4. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

I bet I know what happened.
    They didn't have any carts!

5. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

That so had to be a bear dare. It must have been a young male bear, he and his buds were chillin' and one said, "Brad, I double dog dare you to go in that convenience store, pee on the floor, and come back out" Being a young male bear he couldn't not face the challenge.

Stacy in NY

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Funny story! :haha: I'm glad that it turned out OK for the bear. They're usually shot dead for lesser transgressions than this.I'm glad to see that cooler heads prevailed this time.

7. tltater

I've never heard of them killing them for something like this. They do get tranq'ed or trapped and moved to a less populated area....like down the road from our house! There are alot of bear around here...we see them occasionaly walking across the road on either side of our house but we have yet to see them in our yard.

8. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I live about 30 miles West of Olean, nearer Ellicottville, and I keep hoping to see a bear, but haven't seen any yet. Mind you I wouldn't want to meet one actually in the store! Thanks for the link.

Carol K

9. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

earlier this year a bear was shot for entering a hospital.. those automatic doors sure dont work in the bears favor..

10. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL!!! :haha:

Maybe he was commenting on their customer service! :D

11. tltater

Carol,

Howdy neighbor! We live in Bolivar and like I said have seen bears around the house. The closest I came to being "close" to a bear was in Galeton, PA. My husband and I have our own business servicing, stripping and waxing tile floors and was stripping and waxing the floors at there grocery store there. I had to leave early and not thinking when we got there, parked in the front. They have problems with bears coming in and getting into there dumpsters all the time. So, when I left at about 5am, I had to go out the back door and walk past the dumpster to get to the front of the store. I was very cautious as I left and low and behold wouldn't you know it not 50 yards away was a bear in the trash! I am of the people that freeze when frightened and that is exactly what happened....I froze....he turned and looked at me then ran into the woods. Thank God he wasn't any bigger than he was...about the size of my St.Bernard...or I probably would have past out! I also pump oil leases for my BIL and two of the three have had bears sighted on and one I found bear paw prints(mighty big ones at that!) right next to one of the wells I pump. I like to look at them from a distance or while I am driving in my car, but the up close and personal stuff scares the crap out of me! Hope you get to see one soon....but not like I had too...LOL!

Tracy

12. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Tracy you need a little toy horn or something that makes a loud noise, to carry with you. That way if your out like that you can scare them away. I figure unless it's a big Mama bear with cubs, most of the time their as scared of people as we are of them!
    Hang in there! :)

13. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Hi Tracy,
    I think you probably have more your way than we do, but you hear of the odd sighting in our area, but the Olean area I hear has quite a few bear. Not sure if the people that see them in our area are of sound mind, too many taverns in Ellicottville if you know what I mean. LOL!

Carol K