Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by Barbara Kingsolver

I know a few of you have read this because I've seen it mentioned in some of the livestock forums, so I thought I'd start a thread to discuss it.

Whose read it? What did you think? Do you think having a mainstream author pay attention to sustainable living, livestock and growing your own food will move the general public to changing?

NPR has her scheduled for their "Talk about Faith" program this weekend, called "The Ethics of Eating".

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
I've just ordered it from Amazon -- hopefully it will be here soon. Another along the same idea is --

http://www.amazon.com/Plenty-Woman-...4683914?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184875513&sr=1-1

"Plenty: A Year of Eating Locally" by Alisa Smith -- she and her SO have a website -- do a search for "the 100 mile diet". Very cool.

I can't wait to read the Kingsolver book :)

If you're interested in the politics and future of food, you might also be interested in this recent article It's an article by Gwynn Dyer that is quite thought-provoking.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I am almost finished with this. I am loving it. She writes without being preachy just informative and honest. Love the personal stuff to from and about her family. Another great read by her is Small Wonder. It is a collection of short stories.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just read this last month. Not an author I would normally enjoy, but I saw her on C-Span & was intrigued and I loved the book. I think everyone should read it just to make people aware of what goes into the food on their tables and maybe more inclined to support local, small enterprises. I just don't know if I can live w/o bananas!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just for the record, it’s called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.
I’m a big Barb Kingsolver fan. Other books she has written that I liked are,
The Posinwood Bible and the Prodigal Summer, both very good novels.

This latest book has brought to light things I didn't want to face.
I'll never look at super market poultry in the same light again.
In fact, I'll think I pass on the whole lot that super markets have to offer.

Kris

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
The book in general is useful, but it's really more of a tactical approach to "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. Whereas he talks about the problems in America's food supply in general, she talks to those points and presents her solutions for her family.

In general I liked the book, but the writing is somewhat juvenile and I could have done without her frequent snipes at people with opposing viewpoints.

I considered it a 'library book', one you want to read but not necessarily spend money on.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Well, you all must be in my head, because I just started this after having read Pollan's book, and I am listening to the audio version from the local library. :p I don't expect to hear a lot I don't already know, but I usually find her writing reasonably entertaining. She certainly does have a sanctimonious side to her, so I'm braced for that.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I am at the beginning of it and it is a pleasant read... Like a handsome woman... my only issue, and it is not just her book, but the only people to seem to write books and do homesteading shows are the people with gads of money. It's all very nice, but I would like to read one where the people are having real time of it. All the trials and tribulation and "make-doing" that we all do. So me a solar tank made out of old tin and baling wire. But it is still a good book. Lots of good websites.

Several days later and I am revising earlier statement... I liked it. Once I got into it I became hooked. I saw what she was going for and it was a good read. Inspiring and validating. I apologize for calling it a handsome woman book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.