Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this may be of interest to any animal owner, a pet or agricultural animals.
Here we go. Warn people against this

Permission to Crosspost

DO YOU BELIEVE ANIMALS DESERVE BASIC LEGAL RIGHTS?

www.AnimalBillofRights.com

I hope our politicians have enough common sense and probably eat meat and other animal origin foods. I know that some of them are flirting with animal rightists.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It's nice to see them treated well, but yes this could easily get out of hand. Thanks for the link. I will pass it on.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I agree with every part of that Bill of Rights that is being proposed. I raise my animals in a way that is consistent with these rights. I fail to see the problem this poses.

G

·
I agree with every part of that Bill of Rights that is being proposed. I raise my animals in a way that is consistent with these rights. I fail to see the problem this poses.
The problem is, you give these animal rights groups an inch, they take a mile.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
The problem is, you give these animal rights groups an inch, they take a mile.
I'm not giving them anything. I am taking wonderful care of the animals I raise, whether pets or for meat. If more people who were raising livestock for consumption communicated with "animal rights groups" to show them that there are people raising animals that agree with these standards of care, things would be alot better for everyone involved.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
That is how it should be. Here's what I saw in this.
Check out these ads
http://www.yesonprop2.com/
Look at the videos on the right.
Have you ever had to pen up any animal on your farm for more than the lenth of that video footage? Or had a sick animal you had to shoot? Or put down? Ever had a dog or coyote attack your livestock?
All it takes is for this group to show a short clip of footage that may or may not be abuse in a commercial to get something passed.
One of the videos I saw on their site, and wished I hadn't was two dogs getting shot. They were in a pasture "playing" with the cows. They are trying to press charges on the owner of the cattle, who's pasture the loose dogs were in. We don't know that those same dogs didn't kill a calf or two before, or run a few cows through the fence. In which case the cattle owner would probably be fined for having his cows out. I feel bad for both sides of this.
I like that they are standing up for animals that need it, but they need to be realistic. No I don't agree with raising animals in confinement. In fact I don't eat chicken , just because of that . Pork, I know a few people local who pasture their hogs. My sheep and goats are raised on pasture.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I think its just a move to take out small farms that do raise their animals in good conditions,as opposed to factory farming, that doesn't. Its just another excuse for business to drive to foreign shores with no regulations what so ever.
I dont support pigs or baby cows in a crate,or chickens, to the point they can't even turn around, yet the market does. It will stop when people stop supporting that kind of industry.
The chickens from China & their eggs are full of melamine.
I think an animal has a right to a basically healthy point to life,that might include running around the yard.
I just dont know why people support safeway/grocery stores, & dont even question where their meet or veges come from,or what conditions it was grown/raised in.

Do I support animal rights? NO
Do I support being abusive to a life form animal or otherwise? NO
Do I approve of the FDA that passes ,any laws for the benefit of corps & not consumers?? H--- no

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
My personal opinion; if you are vegan it might not be a problem. But if you raise animals for meat, eggs, milk, fur or fiber, for any function that requires training, or if you make any money at all from any of your animal ventures, I see two sections that will cause major problems

The Right of animals to be free from exploitation, cruelty, neglect and abuse. For me, the word "exploitation" is the one to watch out for. Wordnet defines exploit as "use or manipulate to one's advantage" while Dictionary.com defines it as "to utilize, esp. for profit; turn to practical account". Chickens lay eggs almost every day without a rooster because they have been bred to do so. It is not a natural condition for wild species of fowl to do this. Domestic breeds of cows and goats produce milk in quantities and for lengths of time that well exceed the needs of their young because they were bred for this. Certain breeds of sheep, goats and rabbits have been bred to produce large quantities of fiber. I don't think anyone would argue that people who raise chickens for eggs, cows and goats for milk, sheep, goats and rabbits for fiber and pretty much any animal for meat would be "exploiting" these animals per the accepted definitions of the word. And, that puts those of us who do these things smack dab against this particular animal right. Not to mention the act of taking an animal's life. I know of no way that an animal can be slaughtered that can't be seen as "cruel" or "abusive" in someone's eyes. Not to mention training animals. Heck, take a look at seeing eye dogs. We exploit the animal's intelligence and drive to please in order to serve our purposes. DEFINITELY a no-no in the realm of this right. In my opinion, this one right in itself is enough to shut down just about every operation that keeps animals for ANY food purpose (including family farms).

The Right of animals to have their interests represented in court and safeguarded by the law of the land. What are an animal's interests, and who will represent and safeguard them? I seriously doubt farmers and ranchers are who the authors of this piece have in mind.... The prime interest of ANY living thing is it's own survival. Anything that threatens this life is in direct conflict with the thing's personal best interest. There goes the meat industry right there.

·
Lasergrl
1,656 Posts
I'm not giving them anything. I am taking wonderful care of the animals I raise, whether pets or for meat. If more people who were raising livestock for consumption communicated with "animal rights groups" to show them that there are people raising animals that agree with these standards of care, things would be alot better for everyone involved.

Trouble is they really dont care how good or bad they are treated, they dont want them in captivity in any shape or form at all. They will NOT stop at humane treatment.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Animals have no rights and it should stay that way. They have nothing. Zip.

I think that's excellent.

If you have an animal, give it some food and some water.

Make sure it has somewhere to make itself somewhat comfortable.

Make sure it is able to display its basic instincts/behaviors. Something like a rabbit or chicken should have some space to move- they should be able to clean themselves, stand up, lie down and take a few steps/hops. Dogs need some sort of companionship and most need some sort of exercise (ex: the dog should not be neurotically spinning in circles because it has too much energy and nothing to do with it.)

Sure it would be nice if America could raise all of its animals in free open pasturelands but it isn't really practical and if keeping broilers in a gigantic warehouse was what was paying your bills you're saying that you'd feel so bad about it you'd become homeless? I sure wouldn't. That would make me even more miserable than the chickens in the building (which I suspect aren't that unhappy as it is, of course, none of us knows what constitutes chicken bliss anyhow.) Don't impose unnecessary laws on people or karma will come back to bite you.

As long as you make sure the thing is somewhat "happy" or whatever word you want to use, you can exploit it all you want, as far as I'm concerned.

Exception to the above: If you have to be cruel to a mouse to save people/improve human quaility of life, so be it. If it was a choice between a mouse suffering and you dying/suffering/you get my drift I know what you'd choose.

And sorry- the right of wildlife to habitat? I don't even know where to start.

And now animals have right to be represented in court? As if either of our countries needs something else to blow cash on.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The Right of animals to have their interests represented in court and safeguarded by the law of the land. What are an animal's interests, and who will represent and safeguard them? I seriously doubt farmers and ranchers are who the authors of this piece have in mind.... The prime interest of ANY living thing is it's own survival. Anything that threatens this life is in direct conflict with the thing's personal best interest. There goes the meat industry right there.
Lol brilliant.

·
loving life on the farm
420 Posts
We've left part of our 40 acres in heavy woods. We're anticipating one day having to raise pigs and chickens in the forest-so when the authorities come by to check="Kids, take the pigs to the woods!!!"
I bet most of those PETA lawyers enjoy a good steak now and then!!! What hypocrites!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I just want to say that I had the same feeling as you farmergirl. This is why I don't get involved with politics and our judicial system...I have no trust in any of it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I agree with MariaAZ. I do think animals should have some basic rights for shelter/food/water but the way that this bill is worded could be so easily taken to a wrong place. "Exploited" so basically, if I "exploit" my dog to cheer me up if I'm sad, its wrong? Or maybe if I "exploit" my horse to go for a nice ride? And who defines when a lab experiment is cruel? Or what "healthy" dog food is? I'm sure there is a huge debate over that even on this forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts