Animal Planet is losing it....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Dec 11, 2004.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Last night I saw a a segment of a show called "Animal Precinct" that was unbelieveable.

An "officer" discovers some kittens in a bird cage!!!:rolleyes:
    And they are a little skinny....

They search for this evil captor and find out its an older woman. She said she found the kittens abandoned and wanted to rescue them. When they told her the kittens were thin, the woman said she had only rescued them 3 days prior.
    Even though she had no idea what they were like when the woman found them, the officer decided that they should have been fatter.

Then the officer asked why they were in a bird cage. The woman said that was all she had, and she was trying to keep them safe. That officer went ballistic, and started telling her "Don't you EVER, EVER, put kittens in a bird cage!!!"
    (I guess one of those nice cardboard "kennels" that they sell in the pet store would have been ok, though - those have a picture of a cat on the side so you know they are safe for kittens. :haha:)

The ASPCA decided this was grounds to snatch the animals...

I'll admit, the bird cage was a little cramped, but it sounded like a temporary situation in pinch. The kittens were small and if the alternative was a dangerous environment???
    I'm an animal lover but this was harrassment, in my opinion. I can't believe they put it on TV... :rolleyes:

It's a good lesson to us homesteaders, though. "Don't you EVER, EVER put a cow in a horse barn!!!" You can lose your animals for that, you know...

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Yikes! Those people are going way too far with animals.............pretty soon, all animals will need their own homes, just like ours..............you know, animal equality.............. :rolleyes:

3. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

They're just trying to get people used to the idea of an animal gestapo by airing that junk on TV. DW used to watch that junk until I cancelled the subscription. I'll not pay to watch some cop wannabe harassing citizens.

Bob

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

That sounds ridiculous.They ususally try to help people in that sort of situation.

5. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

I watched the same one and failed to see the ''balistic'' part. She raised her voice so the non english speaking person would know that it was an important issue to the officer. Did you watch those mean people help the guy with the 2 day old pups he was going to sell?

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I've seen that episode too and didn't find it "over the top". Considering what those cops have to deal with on a day to day basis is reason enough for them to raise their voices from time to time, although I don't remember that being the case in this situation.

7. antiquestuff

You cannot treat everyone you run into badly just because you do run into some bad people. No excuse! They are there to NOT hurt in any way whatsoever! remember, they are ANIMAL cops, NOT people cops! They are NOT supposed to hurt people, only to protect animals and people from dangerous animals! Their job is NOT to judge others, we have courts for that! And, they shouldn't be giving people trouble-that's the same as saying they are guilty before a trial! Yelling at someone as if they are guilty implies they are guilty of something, and that is unconstitutional!

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I completely agree with you, but cops are HUMAN and humans sometimes run short of patience. I don't think that was the case in this situation...they were trying to get this person to understand what they were telling her...not give her trouble. They did not hurt this woman in any way.

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. :rolleyes:

9. antiquestuff

They shouldn't be yelling at people-especially older people. I know someone who was old and had a heart attack because someone unexpectedly shouted at him-he just couldn't take it! So,...........there was no reason to yell at someone over some skinny kittens she picked up!

10. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

AS for someone that likes to post in CAPS to make there point I think you should realize that this is the real world and people do sometimes raise there voice to make a point!

11. antiquestuff

you are really missing the point..............

12. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I found it to be over the top because the officer's reasoning was so irrational. There was nothing wrong with the cage, other than its name. It was a safe, temporary solution.
    They kept making such a big deal about the fact that it was a bird cage. They even named the kittens after birds... (which was kinda cute, actually).
    But a cage is a cage is a cage. The ASPCA took the kittens away and put them in a bigger cage.

But not a bird cage, thank goodness!! :p

This officer chose to put her smiling face on TV, and therefore subjected her behavior to evaluation. In my opinion she was hamming it up for the camera at some poor old lady's expense.

Cops shows were instrumental in bringing public attention to the reckless use of high speed car chases. Maybe these all these shows will help make the public aware of the need to constantly monitor those we place in positions of authority. Too many people can't seem to handle it responsibly.

13. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Maybe if you saw what animal cruelty investigators in general had to deal with on a daily basis you'd understand what the job entails. What makes it on television after Animal Planet edits Animal Cops and Animal Precinct over in England and what happens throughout the course of a day in the life of a cruelty investigator can be two very different. You don't see any more of the footage than what the editors want you to see. There may have been entirely more to that stpry than what was aired. Remember, there are always ratings involved. But - if it's on TV or on the internet it must be true.......

14. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I've been severely UN-impressed with the animal cruelty cop shows on AP- and in fact, have pretty much dropped AP from my viewing habits as a result, since that's ALL they play in the evenings now. (I'm like, the ONLY person who likes the Animal Bothering Show- I mean Crocodile Hunter, even if I AM just watching for that one day when he screws up and gets eaten by lizards or something). Yeah, definately, some of the cases are clear cut- like the animals without food in a warehouse in florida, or pit bulls locked in a kennel without food for months in NY. Others... like the little, elderly dog with huge visible tumorswho was taken from his owner who couldn't afford to treat him, and died when they tried to operate? Like the case mentioned here?

I just wonder how slanted, exactly the cases are. AP has a definate INTEREST in making sure that things look as bad as possible, since it makes for a more sensational show. And I definately think ACOs need to get involved in a number of the cases- but they complete skip the fact that these people DO have legal rights and should be going to trial like anyone else!

15. Janene in TX

Janene in TX Member

My 2 cents here....I know these folks have a job to do....but they over-sensationalize stuff on TV. It's all about the ratings, and the commercials & the money that is made off of it all. Period. Yes, I am sure alot of the taping ends up in a trash can somewhere......
    Case in point: last year a lady from the neighboring county wanted to get a humane society going in our county. After 3 meetings, it was dropped because there wan't enough interest. Well, a San Anontio paper a few weeks ago ran a HUGE story on their ungodly kill rate at the humane shelters there. Guess what? There was a notice in the local paper about ANOTHER humane society starting up in my county....and 19 people showed up this time!! (Not me--leave me out of it this time!!) Long story! ;)

16. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

What many overlook is these self-proclaimed "animal cops" consistantly violate the rights of the people involved. It may make for good ratings, but at what expense to our liberties. They try to push their limited authority off on those that allow themselves to be bullied.

What I mainly don't get is how these animal shelters and animal cruelty officers can claim to "rescue" an animal. After all is said and done, they treat or heal the animals, only to put the majority of them to death. Big waste of time and money to me.

Bob

17. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the NYC Animal cops are much nicer than the Wisconsin ones or was it the Michigan ones? They WILL put down pit bulls NO matter what the situation they are due to the fact they THINK everyone who adopts those dogs will fight them or cannot control their fighting instincts. Oh please! Even if those dogs are dog aggressive, they can be well-managed if you train them to listen very good on obedience. I should know- I used to raise and breed UKC registered pits. Never had dog aggression in my bloodlines which was exactly what I was looking for because I used them to catch wild hogs and they HAD to get along with the find/strike dogs..strike/find dogs are worth a fortune while every pit will go out and catch. Strike/find dogs are highly trained while it's not required for pits..it's bred in them to catch even as 8 week old puppies.

Ted

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I watched that once. Once. I saw a bunch of PETA kooks running around in full gestapo regalia conducting all manner of vile incursions into people's private business. The fact that we even spend money on funding such unmitigated *ssclownery is a sign the civil service pool needs a shock treatment. All I could think of was "My tax dollars fund this nonsense?" I vote for the "animal cops" and social workers (usually women who put their kids in daycare so they can invade your home and dictate how you raise yours) getting pink slips and being forced to get real jobs.

19. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Bob you made a good point here that reminded me of something kind of ironic.
    The only time I had an occasion to call animal control, I had what appeared to be a rabid raccoon stalking me and my dogs on our patio.
    They told me they wouldn't come out because "we don't do that. But if you capture it first, we'll come get it."
    Too busy "cruelty" cases like kittens in bird cages, I guess. My tax dollars at work!

20. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Bird cages? Don't any of these people eat chinese food?