animal kingdom's gnawing thread got me to wondering

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Fla Gal, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Our rabbits are in all metal cages. For gnawing sticks we put dried sticks from pecan trees in for gnawing. Are these harmful or ok for the rabbits? Anyone know?

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Sherynn-

I can't see any reason why the pecan sticks would be harmful, but, your rabbits' siblings, lol, really LOVE fresh branches, especially those from fruit trees. They eat the bark right off of them. Unfortunately we only have one fruit tree so we don't have many branches to offer them yet, but in a year or so we will have the orchard up and running. In the meantime we are giving them willow, which they like, and sometimes other branches from box elder or basswood. During the winter they ate a lot of branches from shrubs, too. And, I am about to start thinning the raspberry patch and judging by the way the wild rabbits chew those down, I'm guessing ours will also love them.

BTW, your honey will go out in tomorrow's mail.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    No, Elizabeth, I am not going to wear that white paper outfit nor try to fit into the mailbox, make other plans on that issue!! :p

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm getting the impression that fresh green branches are more nutritious and help keep the tooth length down too. Am I mistaken in believing that only hard dried wood is best for tooth length? Would it be better to give both? Humm... I wonder if they like citrus branches. I'm going out to cut some small branches to learn if the bunnies like them.

Just did that and the little critters are chowing down on them like there's no tomorrow. You know what kind of trees grow here in central Florida so any suggestions you can give would be very helpful.

BTW, Mitch is going to the post office tomorrow.

How can you mail my honey to me when he's already here??? :p